How to open a CS6 InDesign File?

How can I open a CS6 InDesign File with CS5? It just won't open, and I don't want to upgrade, so is there any way to edit the file?

Without CS6, you'll need to ask the file provider to send you an IDML of their InDesign file. That...should...allow you to open the file in CS5.

As with most software versioning, you can open a lower version file with the higher version software (you could open a CS5 in CS6), but, the reverse is seldom ever possible (CS6 in CS5) You have two choices: You can request that your customer, (who is using CS6), save it out as a CS5 file before sending it to you, or, find a complimentary shop using CS6 that will open it and save it as a CS5.

Why don't you want to upgrade to CS6? Most of our clients are using Adobe CC, but the ones who are not are all at CS6, the latest you can get without a subscription.

And as others have mentioned, you need an .IDML file from the customer.

Also, as a sidebar . . although not likely if your customer used features in 6 that were not available in 5 you would lose the effects . . . just be sure to have them proof it closely . . .

I can't afford an upgrade, my Pc isn't the newest anymore. I usually dont have to work with my own files. Well if so I will have to check the next copyshop, in order to get an IDML file. I cant ask my customer for it. He only have the files, he don't have any clue about them.

But still, thx for your answers!

I can't afford an upgrade, my Pc isn't the newest anymore. I usually dont have to work with my own files. Well if so I will have to check the next copyshop, in order to get an IDML file. I cant ask my customer for it. He only have the files, he don't have any clue about them.

Exactly the reason why having the most up-to-date version of any program is a must. We adopted InDesign 2017 the day it was released. No headaches that way.

Indesign CS5 is soon 7 years old.. If your work require you to work with Indesign you really need to upgrade.

But if a plumber came to your house . . . you would expect him to have the tools required for the job . . . just sayin . . .

Indesign CS5 is soon 7 years old.. If your work require you to work with Indesign you really need to upgrade.

+1

Also, if not moving to Adobe CC, I would get the latest non subscription version I could get before Adobe pulls it. They all ready make you feel like a moron if you don't want to subscribe.
http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/cs6.html

From Adobe's website:
"Let’s be honest: Some software upgrades are necessary, and others are just nice to have. Upgrading from Creative Suite 6 to Adobe Creative Cloud falls into the first category: It’s essential.

CS6 is almost four years old, and Adobe has no plans to update it. Ever. In contrast, Creative Cloud features all the latest creative software, including more than 500 features that have been added since 2012. Want the latest version of Photoshop or Illustrator? You need to join to Creative Cloud.

Yes, you can still buy CS6 products, but why would you? The features in Creative Cloud will take your creativity further, with more ways to create, collaborate, and share. To purchase by phone, call 800-585-0774."

I went to a copyshop... @ wonderings, Yes maybe you're right! But I come along real good so far. I mostly do easy stuff like stationaries or simple Logos for small businesses.

I have to correct myself, in my further post I wanted to say I usually only work with my own files... So that's the reason why I never had this problem before. But thx for your help, anyway!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back