Afga Prepress vs Rampage/TrueFlow/???

TechnaPrint

Registered Users
We are about to make the dash from Agfa's Prepress (aka ApogeeX v5). We are trying to decide between TrueFlow v5, Rampage v11 and Xenith Sierra 4.

Anyone out there that made jump from Agfa?

I've been running ApogeeX since last October, when I started with this company. At my previous position I ran TrueFlow for several years. It ran well, provided very few surprises. Tech support was very good. Either way you go you'll love having a trap editor.

Only downsides, trouble with subset fonts (don't know if this is still an issue), didn't support Preps (but FlatWorker is pretty nice, too), and at the time it wasn't using the Adobe PDF Print Engine.

Overall I liked the product.

Last edited:
We are having issues with our Agfa Platesetter, making us have to buy a new one, we will be packaging a new workflow with the new machine (the salesmen love to package items together). There is also the issue of Agfa jacking up the prices on the tech support and technology contracts. The other workflows are about 25% of the cost of Agfa for their contracts.

I remember ther old pricing for support was outrageous, they jacked it up more? Rampage is $1750/year and includes point upgrades. They are moving to 11 with the Preps integration. If it is like Apogee's they will very competitive. I use 10.5 and have been extremely happy. Very easy to install the separate functionality on satellite boxes of your choice, has to be quality gear, HP quad core workstations running XP pro for me.

I would seriously consider the Xenith. It is very robust and since it is an open system, you won't be tied into a particular manufacturer for the Platesetter. Also, their tech support is very good and the cost is minimal. You should be able to find a local dealer that can help you or you can go directly to Xitron to get more information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back