Customers without 5k lighting

I guess that the assigners wanted the light closest to the Aurora Borealis, the great northern lights.

Oh know, I should not have said that. There may be some big time print customers who demand they fly there for a color O.K. This could possibly include lodging at an ice hotel, a Viking or Eskimo inn host with terrible fish breath and an expedition to go sledding to view the polar bears.

Hope RRD, Quebecor or Quad Graphics print buyers don't see this one. Believe me, printers as well as ink makers have been help captive for more perks than what is whimsically suggested here.

Those were the days! Reality that was really virtual.

D

I know there must be a sound scientific reason but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

"This looks too red to me"

"Mr. Customer I know the color looks off in your store, house, office but just imagine how good it looks at the 50th parallel in the afternoon"

Last edited:
In the bad old days of Pantone (before X-Rite), color matching was done visually by one talented individual under office lighting. "Why don't you use XYZ lighting?" we inquired. "Because this is what our customers (designers primarily) do."

When I started about 40 plus years ago in a color trade shop, we had 2- 3 version light booths for the scanner operators...both had the ability to toggle between office, 5K & 7.5 K ,
we used 5K as standard unless we had a customer that wanted "warm" lights...

In the bad old days of Pantone (before X-Rite), color matching was done visually by one talented individual under office lighting. "Why don't you use XYZ lighting?" we inquired. "Because this is what our customers (designers primarily) do."

Sarcasm I hope, when you refer to 'the bad old days'.

D

D50 is a standard illuminant condition, but not the only one. Most Profiling software offers various lighting conditions, to reflect that where the document will ultimately be judged. You could also capture the ambient lighting for a given location, and use that as well.

I offer the customer options for several viewing conditions, for which they can use dependent on their customer. I put the lighting condition in the profile name. Once you have the patch set read in, you can create various lighting conditions from the same effort of patch sampling.

D50 is a standard illuminant condition, but not the only one. Most Profiling software offers various lighting conditions, to reflect that where the document will ultimately be judged. You could also capture the ambient lighting for a given location, and use that as well.

I offer the customer options for several viewing conditions, for which they can use dependent on their customer. I put the lighting condition in the profile name. Once you have the patch set read in, you can create various lighting conditions from the same effort of patch sampling.

I mean the only lighting condition you can really emulate is that of your spectrophotometer. If you measure in M1 and choose anything but D50 to create the ICC what does your print actually represent? Especially if you as a G7 Expert, build the ICC off a G7 linearization? Your linearization doesn't get the opportunity to decide what viewing condition you plan to use so now you are relying on the ICC to adjust your linearization. Even if you use TC1617 I think the difference between your linearization's lighting condition and that of your profile will cause an issue. In the end both the linearization and the ICC are scanned using the same measurement mode but only one is simulating a different lighting condition.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back