Press Room Manager for CTP machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Room Manager for CTP machine

I have always had plates as the repsonsibility of the Press Room (as well as the flat paper warehouse) - Do others do this

peter

Re: Press Room Manager for CTP machine

I amj not sure I understand you completely. Everywhere I have worked stocking and using the plates has been a prepress duty....
    OS X • RAMpage • Epson 9880 • Kodak Approval • Lotem PLatesetter •

Comment

THats what I thought

I heard of a large printer - where if a plate went down the press would stand idle while the pre press manager decided which plate to make. I have always had my Press Room Manager take overall responsibily for making them - Its his fault then if the plates ar'tt made in time

Peter

Comment

hello peter,

i have worked a three medium sized printers and all have had warehouse managers to handle stock, and pre press managers to handle plates and a production manager to shout at whichever manager created a situation which lead the press to stand idle.

Hope his helps but i have never herd of a company to do things that way but as they say "innovate not immitate".so if it works.........

Paul

Comment

Totally Agree Paul..........The prepress Manager should be in control of platemaking, working very closely with the production planning - This relationship is crucial.

Comment

As the printing industry continues to adopt the concepts of Lean manufacturing, is it possible that we'll see more manufacturing "cells"? In a cell, the platesetting device would probably be physically placed "in-line" with, or, in front of, the press or perhaps even several presses. Who manages the cell?

Comment

Brian I agree wholeheartedly

I work on - if it matters to you then u should own it

Plates/Paper/Ink and Coating matter to the pressmanager - he should own it

You then dont need platesetter on site 24 hrs a day your press room assistant can image plates

Peter

Comment

Hi peter,

I work on - if it matters to you then u should own it

Plates/Paper/Ink and Coating matter to the pressmanager - he should own it

I see your point but communication is the key to any operation and prepress should be guided by the pressroom manager (In terms of plates required). If this relationship fails to deliver then let people know there responsibility and what is expected of them. Your pressroom manager must be a great guy but i bet he feels like the world is on his shoulders some times.

Paul

Edited by: Paul Green on Jan 23, 2008 6:27 AM

Comment

In our facility we're implementing lots of "Lean" tools except we haven't yet created any production cells in prepress or press or both together.

Interesting thing is that we are currently considering a switch from thermal ablative/water wash-only plates BACK to "chemistry-dependent". Prepress and press both want more of a grained plate that satisfies our printing needs, but press is primarily driving the move back to "chemistry dependent" plates.
                  Prepress (that's me) suggested that we place the new "chemistry dependent" system in line with the presses. (I wanted to see the reaction). This action would move toward a LEAN "cell" arrangement which is the direction the company is headed anyway. However, the "pressroom" more than likely would become responsible for the platesetter and chemistry changes. The excitement about "chemistry dependent" plates subsided quite a bit when it was looked at that way. It all sounds good when you don't have to deal with the mess.
                  Back to the subject, if LEAN principles get involved, printers may well see press employees handling the plating. It depends on facility layout, space, end in mind, takt time etc.

brian

Comment

We have a pressman that doubles as a platemaker most of his time is spent making plates and making sure stock/inks/plates etc..are all pulled together and ready and staged per the schedule in a centrally located spot for the presses, when he's making plates he asnswers to prep when he's on the press he answers to pressroom.

It's been a great situation for everyone, we don't have to make plates and the pressmen don't have to hunt for materials plus they have coverage for sick days and vacations.

Comment

Hello Brian,

sorry to jump a bit off topic but why do you want to move to a more grainer plate? what press problems do you hope this will solve.

Cheers paul

Comment

Paul:
                        re: off-topic subpoint...
                        As I alluded to in my novel a few entries ago, the press manager has a multi-point list of reasons for desiring a "grain-ier" plate: i.e. pre-wetting on current plates wastes time and sheets during initial roll-up. Consistency in maintaining color during the run is evidently more difficult. (That's probably because more "water" needs to be applied to plate). Deleted image on current plates sometimes becomes sensitive.
                        From prepress angle, our equipment is seven years old and it's becoming necessary to do what we call "zone balancing" more frequently. If a zone is out of balance, it usually is more easily noticed on press. Then press has to stop and plates re-made and so on and so on....

regards,
                        brian

Comment

G-Town:
                          Very interesting. I can relate to what your saying. Just last October we brought into prepress one of the press operators. He's running the platesetters daily. When we hit our peak season in May, he'll go back to running a press fulltime and I'll be obligated to train another seasonal or two to make plates. I'm not thrilled about that aspect especially the constant annual training in plating, but this is our first serious effort at this approach so we'll see...

brian

Comment

Brian

With my Press Room Manger being responsible for plates - he would get the existing operator to train the replacement -

Peter

Comment

Peter: I understand what you're saying; especially the ownership part. You've got me thinking "outside the box" in terms of managing the plating process. As we've seen in this thread, your approach is probably not very common in the printing world at this point in time. Sounds like G-Town does things in a similar fashion to what you're describing.

So, just to clarify, are you saying that you have a press assistant that makes all the plates all of the time and all of the plating activities are managed by the Press manager? Is plating in a separate room, miles away from the press room or right next to press or in the pressroom?

brian

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
                              UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5256 users online. 115 members and 5141 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
                              X