.291 bleed to .05

kaiserwilhelm

OK. Going nuts. Customer consistently sends in 8.5 X 11 pages as .291 bleeds. We have a procedure to place into GMC software at -.5. Meaning I would like my PDF to be 9.5 X 12
I have tried everything I know with the crop, bleed, trim, and art boxes via an action list. I just can't make it happen.
Thoughts?
File is currently 9.08 x 11.58. Want it to be 9.5 X 12

This should be easy with Pitstop Pro.

You can either make a custom bleed action to increase the bleed area to the desired size.

Or you can use a page box set to the final size. I do this all the time when I get too much bleed or other crazy sized files. Select the proper page box, click activate, center, and apply. Done!

I use the above method on most files. We use 0.25" bleed so I'd want an 8.75" x 11.25" file. Just a few clicks and I'm there.

since there will be some netizens who don’t have pitstop or might become confused creating a pitstop action … i offer an alternative … acrobat’s ‘cropping’ feature.

if i understand kaiserwilhelm’s plight correctly … his customer needs a 8.5x11(trim) page, and routinely applies .291” bleeds to all his jobs. thereby, customer’s *.pdf file contains 9.08x11.58(media) … whereas kaiserwilhelm needs 9.5x12(media).

customer’s file:
media-size: 9.082 x 11.582
trim-size: 8.5 x 11.0
offsets: -.291 x -.291
bleeds: 9.082 x 11.582​

revised file:
media-size: 9.5 x 12.0
trim-size: 8.5 x 11.0
offsets: -.499 x -.499
bleeds: 9.082 x 11.582​

when adjusting, follow screen-cap “processing_revision(adjust)” … the dimensions are only for the file-dimensions mentioned by kaiserwilhelm. the revision took place utilizing acrobat-pro-dc’s cropping interface (not pitstop) … file created from indd-cs6. pls see attached screen-caps and *.pdf files … feel free to test as example(s).

as suggested, though … it is in everyone’s best interest that customers submit file to your specifications. all sorts of nasty surprises can surface, when revising customers’ *.pdf files.

thanks.

orig_pdf_file(view)processing_revision(adjust)revised_pdf_file(view)
Click image for larger version  Name:	orig_pdf_file(view).png Views:	2 Size:	720.5 KB ID:	275694Click image for larger version  Name:	processing_revision(adjust).png Views:	2 Size:	730.2 KB ID:	275695Click image for larger version  Name:	revised_pdf_file(view).png Views:	2 Size:	719.4 KB ID:	275696
bld(p291)ofst(p0625).pdf
bld(p291)ofst(p0625)med(9.5x12)trm(p291).pdf

Last edited:
I always wonder why anyone is ever concerned as to what the customers bleed amount is (unless it is too small ! ) - don't most modern imposition applications simply center the PDF within an imposition cell and ignore these boxes ? Most customer would have no idea what bleed you desire as a print service provider...

I always wonder why anyone is ever concerned as to what the customers bleed amount is (unless it is too small ! ) - don't most modern imposition applications simply center the PDF within an imposition cell and ignore these boxes ? Most customer would have no idea what bleed you desire as a print service provider...

I know what you mean but my colleague uses GMC Inspire Designer too and he had exactly the same issue. I dunno if GMC won't let you centre content or if the option is hidden away. Either way GMC users have to be specific with their bleed. I'm guessing the artwork being imported is variable which is why the operator cannot position it manually.

You can also change the page pages boxes to whatever you desire with an Acrobat Preflight Profile under Custom Fixups.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 6.49.45 PM.png

So before you do anything, with any product, I think you need to find out how GMC is positioning the file.

Found this old thread which would suggest the media box. https://printplanet.com/forum/digit...ems/17529-gmc-inspire-designer-and-pdf-import

I did a quick RTFM on an Inspire manual (v8.1) I got from a google search, and it seems if you have the 'PDF Data Module' you can choose the Trim or Media Box.

Maybe take a look through the manual you have? :)

So before you do anything, with any product, I think you need to find out how GMC is positioning the file.

Found this old thread which would suggest the media box. https://printplanet.com/forum/digit...ems/17529-gmc-inspire-designer-and-pdf-import

I did a quick RTFM on an Inspire manual (v8.1) I got from a google search, and it seems if you have the 'PDF Data Module' you can choose the Trim or Media Box.

ABC - I got it by copying and modifying one that came with Pitstop. I used the add color bars. I resized the media box by .209. Then, changed the crop box to the media box.
GMC has me place the picture in at a specific X and Y. The issue is that I am bringing in a variable based upon a path. I need to know that that variable picture is identical to the one that created the automation.
If I bring in one that is -.5 that only really had .291 bleed, I will not center in the window.

The issue with GMC Inspire is this - you cannot save the preference of the PDF coming in centered / centered. Because of this, you either have a standard for all pdfs of a set amount of bleed, or you run the chance of a pdf coming in wrong. This is VERY important
when you truly understand that power that GMC has. I can preview one PDF in my workflow correctly. But, then have it bring in thousands of PDFs based upon the data. If I do not have standards, and one DPF is .25 on all sides, it will slip to the upper left corner.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back