Copier guy looking to learn printing on a Ryobi 3200 or 2800

kevinphila

Hi everyone

I am a supervisor at a print shop and I have been thinking of learning to run the offset press to add to my skill set. I am the main operator on the Xerox Docutech 6115, 4112 and DC252.

I do the prepress work in Adobe CS5 and I've been in the industry for 15 years, just not running offset. Right now we have a AB Dick 9985 which is a rebadged Ryobi 3302M. Our Hamada 600 is ready for the dump and I am looking into getting a refurbished Ryobi 3200 or 2800 to run just envelopes since its a direct feed. My question is what is the learning curve on these machines? I have a pressman but he gets backed up and I can give him a hand on envelopes if this machine is fairly simple to run.

Does anyone have these machines and how is it going to work, taking a prepress/copier guy like me and teaching him the press?

Thanks for your insight.

Does the 3200 have a crestline dampening system? The older super aqua damp system is a bit harder to run and does not do solids well. The learning curve will depend on you. It is nothing like a copier so your experience with that is of no help. It is like anything else either you are gifted at doing it or not. I have seen operators go to a press and be awesome right away and I have seen operators do this for years and still not be very good at it. Give it three weeks full time and see where you are after that. Your other press operator may see you as taking away his job so he may not be as helpful as you may need. If he is willing to help you should have no problems.

Running simple envelope jobs should be fairly easy, especially if you have an experienced pressman around. I'd say in a couple of weeks you should be able to whip off some jobs on your own. You should devote a whole day to just running the press uninterrupted.

Why would you want to try to learn a dying trade?

Spend your time getting better at what you know.

It is a skill set that is destined for the Smithsonian.

Does the 3200 have a crestline dampening system? The older super aqua damp system is a bit harder to run and does not do solids well. The learning curve will depend on you. It is nothing like a copier so your experience with that is of no help. It is like anything else either you are gifted at doing it or not. I have seen operators go to a press and be awesome right away and I have seen operators do this for years and still not be very good at it. Give it three weeks full time and see where you are after that. Your other press operator may see you as taking away his job so he may not be as helpful as you may need. If he is willing to help you should have no problems.

Thanks I would def get crestline or a Kompac on it. I think my press guy would be thankful to get the extra help. We bought a digital duplicator for simple text line art jobs on #10 envelopes that has bailed us out a couple of times when he was on vacation, but it didnt match the offset quality.

Im a quick learner and its something I can put on my resume. I like the prepress end better and leave the dirty stuff such as the press work to someone else, but as a supervisor I feel as though it will only help me to know all the aspects of the shop. In todays economy I am just trying to learn all I can to have a plan B or even get a part time job running offset for a few of my contacts.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have the Ryobi models I mentioned?

Kev

Need for Offset

Need for Offset

I disagree with the "dying trade", particularly until you resolve the letterhead/laser printer problem, envelope printing and the cost/benefit of big press runs. I worked for years in the digital trade and the best addition to the shops I worked at was a 2 color press that could do both letterhead and envelopes... and much, much more. I'm a prepress guy in a very large offset shop now, and while we send a number of jobs to the digital equipment, the offset side definitely pulls in the most profit, with very large output numbers. If you've already got a pressman that's willing to help, there is definitely no reason you can't learn. I'd love to hear about results after you've invested some time.

Thanks Rhett

As I mentioned I got a Ricoh HQ9000 digital duplicator which is nice for #10s in small quantities but it cant replace offset. Letterhead printing is dying off but envelope printing is still strong, so I want in on that. Should I get a direct feed with a T head ? I have a 2 color Ryobi 3302 but running envelopes on that is not the best application for that machine. I was thinking of a Ryobi or AB Dick direct feed for the envelopes.

~Kevin

Hey sorry if I am raining on your feel-good parade, but I have to tell you that I know several shops in my immediate area that have completely closed down their small press divisions.

If you want to go ahead and think that this is the future than you go and think that.

I personally am going to be realistic, and not sit around waiting for the past to reconstitute itself.

Sorry.

Richoh HQ9000 ??

Richoh HQ9000 ??

Thanks Rhett

As I mentioned I got a Ricoh HQ9000 digital duplicator which is nice for #10s in small quantities but it cant replace offset. Letterhead printing is dying off but envelope printing is still strong, so I want in on that. Should I get a direct feed with a T head ? I have a 2 color Ryobi 3302 but running envelopes on that is not the best application for that machine. I was thinking of a Ryobi or AB Dick direct feed for the envelopes.

~Kevin

Kevin,

Sorry to jump on this thread & change the subject but I've read several of your posts regarding your HQ9000 and envelopes. I've been considering getting a duplicator for some time but am still hesitant. I even demo'd a 300dpi Riso but the quality just wasn't there.

Can you give me some insight into your experience with the machine as it relates to envelopes? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Sure Pete

I would be happy to help. It certainly has its niche. Send me a message and I will be happy to give you the straight truth about it. Thats what this forum is all about.

Kevin

Hey dave.
I think most of the posts are correct - few feeks should be enough to produce saleable work especially on press with kompac. I am office equipment engineer who opened a copy center and than went offset.
It is totally doable.. Just have to learn a nature of the beast..

I don't think offset will ever go away. It's been around for longer than any of the other technologies...and still nothing else can compete with it.

A good offset press is still the best longevity investment out there.

If anything the digital "presses" are in danger. They're more unreliable, constantly being upgraded with new models; and if their slower "office" grade machines get better, why will people pay a premium to outsource to a fancier copier/printer toner device.

And if anyone ever finds a new technology or modification to make a true offset press able to effectively do variable data printing...then forget it, all other technologies will be blown away and obsolete since the real major reason for a digital "press" is the variable data capability and lower cost on short runs...which most likely a variable data fix for offset will most likely make short runs more cost effective.

I'm not trying to diss toner devices, I love them; but the digital "press" came about as a complement to the offset presses, not the other way around.

Good luck with learning offset...I too would like to get more hands on experience with them.

With your attitude and either a Crestline or Kompac, you'll run envelopes all day long on a 3200 with one day (maybe two) training and your main pressman should buy you a case of beer for saving him the headache of all that bending & loading.

I have operated various presses, (GTO's, A.B. Dick 360's 9800 series, Ryobi 3200 and 2800 as well as Multi's and Chief's. If you have a basic knowledge of the print industry you should do well. WATCH your water and ink. If you run paper plates you will want to run a little more water, metal plates a little less water. You also might want to look into a T-51 for the press. Two color in one pass and you can remove the t-head for one color jobs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back