Ryobi service tech in the NYC area.

lantz_xvx

Hey all,

Pretty sure this is my first post in this forum, but I look at it frequently. So hello and thanks for all the helpful threads you all have contributed to.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Ryobi service tech in the New York City area? I've got a Ryobi 3302 with Crestlines that I'm trying to get setup. I've adjusted all the ink forms on both heads but the Crestlines seem impossible for me to dial in. All the rollers look fine, though I plan on replacing them gradually. I know the press can produce sellable jobs as is, I just need someone who knows the machine to help me set it up and give it a once-over.

My shop is in Brooklyn. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

- Lantz

Thanks for your reply, Al. Unfortunately, this search does not yield any useful results, and I made several similar searches before resorting to asking for help on the forums.

Does anyone happen to personally know of a Ryobi tech in the NYC area? A guy from Boston got in touch with me via another printing forum but there has to be someone closer, and certainly a vast network of skilled printers would know of someone.

- Lantz

General advice for any forum: when seeking help, always make a brief mention of what you have already tried.

Note that the Google search yielded some equipment dealers. What happens when you contact them?

Al

It yielded one equipment dealer, Crystal Graphics, which is the dealer I bought the press from. They were awful to deal with. I have no desire to deal with them anymore, and even if I did, I wouldn't trust them to do anything right.

- Lantz

I am located in California, so I can't help much. I only responded because I used to have a 3302 with Crestlines. Great press.

One last suggestion, try to contact the factory asking for dealers in your area, AND mention your poor experience with the one you dealt with.

Good luck,

Al

Thanks for the advice, Al. I guess in the meantime I'll try to just try to get it worked out myself. Those Crestlines have just been really impossible for me to get dialed in, and they take forever to clean up. Every day I spend hours messing with them, and when I think I've made progress, more problems arise. I just really want the press up and running. It's so close, and I've got some jobs to start on.

- Lantz

Lantz: Jack Popkin & Co. 718-361-6700 (http://www.jackpopkin.com/).

Lantz: Jack Popkin & Co. 718-361-6700 (http://www.jackpopkin.com/).

Hey all,

Pretty sure this is my first post in this forum, but I look at it frequently. So hello and thanks for all the helpful threads you all have contributed to.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Ryobi service tech in the New York City area? I've got a Ryobi 3302 with Crestlines that I'm trying to get setup. I've adjusted all the ink forms on both heads but the Crestlines seem impossible for me to dial in. All the rollers look fine, though I plan on replacing them gradually. I know the press can produce sellable jobs as is, I just need someone who knows the machine to help me set it up and give it a once-over.

My shop is in Brooklyn. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

- Lantz

Lantz: Jack Popkin & Co. 718-361-6700 (Ryobi Presses). I have one and they know the press better than anyone I know. If you'd like to give me a call first, maybe I can give you some pointers -973-887-4700 - Bob

Last edited:
Hey Bob, thanks for the info. I actually did send those folks an e-mail via their contact form on their website, but never got a response. I guess I'll just have to give them a call. The same actually goes for this other place in Englewood, NJ. I wonder why they bother having e-mail as an option if they don't reply to it? Anyway, I'll take you up on your offer and give you a call later today before I speak to Jack Popkin.

Thanks.

- Lantz

I used to have a small shop in New York state in an earlier life and Jack Popkin is a name I recall in printing equipment. I would not hold their lack of response to your email in such a strong light. My guess is that they are an old style business that only recently have set up that web page on the strong advice of others and are not yet comfortable in it. It would be a serious bad sign if you were going to them for web services, but for machinery services it is simply an annoying inconvenience to you.

Good luck.

Al

Last edited:
Nothing personal against Jack Popkin or United Graphics Systems - I'm sure both of them have excellent and competent technicians. I just think they should be upfront about the best way to reach them. I have no problem calling, but sometimes it's easier to explain a particular issue in writing, especially if you're trying to get help from more than one place. In any case, I'll give Popkin a call and see what their rates are like.

- Lantz

Hey all, so just a little update. Len Popkin came by today and was a super awesome guy. He got my second unit dialed in and went out of his way to show / teach me things so that I could save some money and do it myself in the future. The plate clamp on my first unit is not opening properly on the operator side, and he didn't have the parts with him to fix it so I just have to run it as a single color press for now. But I'm going to see if I can take that clamp apart and figure it out. Hopefully parts aren't necessary, there's just something stuck in there. He also did some other minor repairs and gave me some great info. And at the end of it, charged me half of what he should have and told me that I could call him for help any time.

Great technician, and great customer service. Thanks for hooking me up with that company, and I highly recommend them!

- Lantz

That's all good news!

Was there any discussion about the web page inspired emails not being responded to?

Al

Al, I wasn't even gonna sweat the e-mail thing because it wasn't a big deal at all. Lenny really is a nice guy and his excellent service made up for whatever downfalls I anticipated beforehand.

- Lantz

Today's alkaline based papers tend to leave a lot of (calcium) in the roller train and soybased inks don't help. I use poly plates and metal and when they don't ink up right away ,especially with black, then it's time to clean the rollers by hand-take them out clean them in your sink-running water, sos pads,comet, ajax, dow scrubbing bubbles whatever it takes to get that buildup out that lies just beneath the surface. I even dragged a fine tooth file across the crestline pan roller and ground down the swelled ends to get them level with the rest of the roller. I put a cleaner sheet on: 12pt 12x18 works fine for me and then use the wash up unit as well because experience has shown me it doesn't take much solvent below the nip of metering roller to drip down and create a mess (especially on the infeed). Also no amount of deep cleaning stuff will help if it's not completely out of the system when you start up again. I'm old school I even use a weak vinegar solution (sometimes)now and then to rinse the rollers. Tech says, "no! it's bad for the rollers" Whatever, they are old rollers anyways so whatever works. I even use ammonia-it's cheaper than Allied ink repellant which If you read the ingredients it says "ammonia paste" to clean my cylinders because that calcium builds up there too.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back