X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alois Senefelder View Post
    Erik,

A Question.

Seeing you are intent in beating us into submission regarding the "Conservation of Mass" that after reading all your TAGA Papers,

why did the German Giants of Printing Press Manufacturers NOT follow your advice ? to what is a "Simlple" problem to correct, according to you.

I for one do not believe that Heidelberg AG have not looked at the Inking Transport Systems of Offset Presses.

Regards, Alois
    Good question. I don't know. Maybe they are happy in what they have like you are.

Comment

From an operator's perspective; 5 minutes at the controls of some of these newer offset presses and you couldn't be any happier, either. Simply awesome.

Comment

A couple of quotes from others (philosophers/ scientists/ cant remember) come to mind.
        1. Nothing fails like success. Success means that nothing has been learned.
        2. There is no such thing as failure. You have learned another way that does not work.

Gordo, many of your comic strips (for want of a better term) are either very humorous or very thought provoking. As you have a copyright on them, is it possible for me to ask permission to post some of them on my FaceBook page?

Thanks.
        Gerald.

Comment

Well as an old member of this community i just want to say you here that i was i am searching for this information where i can QandA others about education or qualification so finally i got this thread here actually i want to ask you about online education for me any recommendations ?
          Last edited by Rod Rick; 07-21-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MailGuru View Post
            Theoretically, with age, comes wisdom. . . . Now I'm 64 and have been in the industry over 40 years. It's amazing how others listen intently now, even though I really have nothing to say........
            I find myself in pretty much the same position. Just over 40 years experience and it's a handy little fact to toss out - and I find myself tossing it out quite frequently because it seems to impress clients into believing I know what I'm talking about.
            I suppose I do know of what I speak for the most part, having spent many years in production. I now sit home, check customer files, create some, source the press work to trade shops (I've paid my dues).
            The reality is, I'm behind the curve these days where technology is concerned. Sure I know the basics but I wouldn't stand a chance of operating today's equipment (presses), nor could I any longer function in a shops pre-press environment. At least not one that was up to date.
            Still, I get the job done in my own way and I suppose that's what counts. Shops seem happy with my files and customers are pleased with results.

Couple similar analogies. People view you with more respect somehow when you represent yourself as the 'business owner'. It comes with a perception of knowledge & success. Crap! Guys on the shop floor have way more knowledge but to most, they're just the know little working stiffs. Why?
            Along the same vein, I used to live lakeside. Here's a tip if you want to impress someone. Tell them you live on the lake. People's impression of you immediately escalates . . .oh, he must be wealthy! Well it was a nice property but we were far from wealthy. Hell, I was a printer! Just found the right property at the right time and bought it. I would slide that I lived on the lake into conversations with shallow people just to watch their persona change. It was kind of fun, kind of sad.

Side note unrelated. What is it with Ad Agencies? I've dealt with many, not by choice. Have spent the past couple weeks dealing with one. Zero knowledge but tons of attitude and ongoing harassment & anxiety. So far I've done 2 jobs for them. Both screwed up. Their fault, but has ended up costing me.

My 2 cents completed.

Comment

Originally posted by keith1 View Post

I find myself in pretty much the same position. Just over 40 years experience and it's a handy little fact to toss out - and I find myself tossing it out quite frequently because it seems to impress clients into believing I know what I'm talking about.
              I suppose I do know of what I speak for the most part, having spent many years in production. I now sit home, check customer files, create some, source the press work to trade shops (I've paid my dues).
              The reality is, I'm behind the curve these days where technology is concerned. Sure I know the basics but I wouldn't stand a chance of operating today's equipment (presses), nor could I any longer function in a shops pre-press environment. At least not one that was up to date.
              Still, I get the job done in my own way and I suppose that's what counts. Shops seem happy with my files and customers are pleased with results.

Couple similar analogies. People view you with more respect somehow when you represent yourself as the 'business owner'. It comes with a perception of knowledge & success. Crap! Guys on the shop floor have way more knowledge but to most, they're just the know little working stiffs. Why?
              Along the same vein, I used to live lakeside. Here's a tip if you want to impress someone. Tell them you live on the lake. People's impression of you immediately escalates . . .oh, he must be wealthy! Well it was a nice property but we were far from wealthy. Hell, I was a printer! Just found the right property at the right time and bought it. I would slide that I lived on the lake into conversations with shallow people just to watch their persona change. It was kind of fun, kind of sad.

Side note unrelated. What is it with Ad Agencies? I've dealt with many, not by choice. Have spent the past couple weeks dealing with one. Zero knowledge but tons of attitude and ongoing harassment & anxiety. So far I've done 2 jobs for them. Both screwed up. Their fault, but has ended up costing me.

My 2 cents completed.
              Oh how I love the perception that people have about you. But some people just don't get it in life sometimes. My wife and I have been to africa twice in the last year. Were 28 and she has a good job and I am part owner of our family's printing business. But we don't make any stupid money. The only debt we have is our house. Dont have credit cards, don't borrow money on cars, etc. A friend was over the other day and we got to talking about finances. He basically said we were lucky and its not possible for most people to do what we do. We just shook our head and asked him how much their car payments were a month. 2 cars, almost $1100/month. We said you do know if you sold them and bought used vehicles that you could save so much money and do what we do. Nope, they're upside down on the vehicles so thats not possible. Also paying on the student loans. And I believe he already filed bankruptcy a few years ago. Mind you these are middle class people, not struggling people and are my age. So I LOVE perception. Remember this, it all depends on your situation as to how successful/wealthy you are. I do not consider myself wealthy, but to others we are rich. But I have friends that by any standards are rich, and they don't feel like they are. Perception is a fickle creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Rick View Post
                Well as an old member of this community i just want to say you here that i was in searching for this information where i can question others about education or qualification so finally i got this thread here actually i want to ask you about online education for me any recommendations ?
                There's quite a bit of information on this site that's available by using the search feature & looking for "Online education".

Comment

Originally posted by AP90 View Post

Oh how I love the perception that people have about you. But some people just don't get it in life sometimes. . . .Perception is a fickle creature.
                  Seems to be a problem these days. I see lots of young couples/families buying new houses cars then upgrading those with decks, stamped concrete driveways etc. Where do they get the money? We'll find out when interest rates go up. I look forward to getting a nice newer home for cheap at that time
                  Speaking with print shop owners and other business owners, they have trouble hiring people for junior positions because 1) many seem adverse to technical/manual work; 2) they want a top salary to start. At the age that some are buying houses these days, I was more concerned with putting 5 bucks together to buy a nickle bag. Remember nickle bags & dime bags! Way more fun than a house
                  At some point I expect all will even itself out. Let's hope.

Comment

Originally posted by keith1 View Post

What is it with Ad Agencies? I've dealt with many, not by choice. Have spent the past couple weeks dealing with one. Zero knowledge but tons of attitude and ongoing harassment & anxiety. So far I've done 2 jobs for them. Both screwed up. Their fault, but has ended up costing me.

Your answer is in the question. "Zero knowledge" but plenty of bluster.

What is the nature of advertising? Gently put, advertising is simply bluster to overwhelm people's present behavior.

A word to the wise: if you must deal with ad agencies, mark up your costs AT LEAST 80% on the jobs you'd like to make money on. (As opposed to the freebies and the favors.) You may think you're making money at lower markups, but all you need is one tempestuous ninny-fit and you're in the red for 4 jobs afterwards.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimate
                    4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonKBAKBAChili publish4 PeesSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5255 users online. 159 members and 5096 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                    X