“PRINT Act” Introduced in US House to suspend Groundwood Paper tariffs

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
The Bill: H.R. 6031—“Protecting Rational Incentives in Newsprint Trade Act of 2018” or “PRINT Act”—would temporarily halt both preliminary and final duties while the DOC completes its study on the economic health of the printing and publishing industries. The study would examine whether these tariffs will harm local news coverage, reduce employment, or harm local businesses that advertise in local newspapers.

Rep. Kristi Noem (R-SD) & Charlie Crist (D-FL) have introduced H.R. 6301 which is identical to S.2835 that was introduced by Senators Susan Collins (R-ME) and Angus King (I-ME) in May. Many newspapers and printers have experienced price increases and a disruption in supply and have warned policymakers that the import tariffs—as high as 32%—would jeopardize the viability of the industry and threatens the over 600,000 U.S. workers in publishing, printing and related industries. The Tampa Bay Times recently announced 50 employees would be laid off due to new tariffs

The PRINT Act would:
  • Require a study by Commerce on the economic wellbeing, health and vitality of U.S. newsprint & newspaper publishing industries.
  • Require a report from the Commerce Secretary to the President and Congress within 90 days, including the findings of the study and any recommendations considered appropriate.
  • Pause any affirmative determination by the DOC or ITC until the President certifies he has received the report and concluded that such a determination is in the economic interest of the United States; and
  • Halt the collection of cash deposits for uncoated groundwood imports currently under investigation at the Commerce Department until the President has made such certifications.
Use the link below for more information about “Protecting Rational Incentives in Newsprint Trade Act of 2018”.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back