24" printer - Epson P7000 or HP Z2100/Z3200?

bgafotocenter

We are a photochain with 9 stores across Sweden that have been using Epson wideformat printers (7800/7890/9700/9880/9900/11800) a few days ago another printer stopped working and its no use of doing repairs (The printhead is broken...)

I am now so tired of Epson and the lack of skilled support organization (atleast here in Sweden) we have always been happy with the printing quality even when we used a Epson 9700..) I am thinking about trying a HP 24" printer but i am curious about the printing cost. I have been looking at Z2100 or Z3200. The ink cartrigde is smaller 130ml vs 700ml on Epson. What will that do on the printing cost?

Any other printer i should look at? Any help would be great!

Do you use printer driver or RIP?
If RIP – check supported printers and license requirements.

If printer driver – do you use OEM paper or third party paper? How are you going to manage colour with a mixed fleet of printers?​
Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Why not Canon iPF printers?

Canon could also be a alternative, dont know much about Canon.

Do you use printer driver or RIP?
If RIP – check supported printers and license requirements.

If printer driver – do you use OEM paper or third party paper? How are you going to manage colour with a mixed fleet of printers?​
Stephen Marsh

We are using a Epson specific rip today. We are using OEM paper. Dosent matter if it will be slightly different.

If it was me, I would not replace your Epsons with HP's.

It's somewhat anecdotal to be sure, but it's also true that over ten years of being in the business of color management exclusively for large and grand format printers, with the exception of a few instances of ink issues, the only machines that I have ever had clients who have had color inconsistency issues with have all been HP's.

Various machines across various types too. Latex and aqueous, that is, which do share something of a common architecture. I've never had any issue with HP flatbeds.

Of note as well: One fine art printer in New England fought for two years against color inconsistencies on an HP Z6200. On my recommendation, they finally they gave up and replaced it with a Canon iPF9400.

And they loved that one so much they got another.

I've also got an old friend who is perhaps the mist color critical client I have ever had who is a nationally known graphic designer. He's going to be doing an exhibition of posters he's created over the years and wants to buy a printer to do the project.

I recommended the Canon to him as well.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

If it was me, I would not replace your Epsons with HP's.

It's somewhat anecdotal to be sure, but it's also true that over ten years of being in the business of color management exclusively for large and grand format printers, with the exception of a few instances of ink issues, the only machines that I have ever had clients who have had color inconsistency issues with have all been HP's.

Various machines across various types too. Latex and aqueous, that is, which do share something of a common architecture. I've never had any issue with HP flatbeds.

Of note as well: One fine art printer in New England fought for two years against color inconsistencies on an HP Z6200. On my recommendation, they finally they gave up and replaced it with a Canon iPF9400.

And they loved that one so much they got another.

I've also got an old friend who is perhaps the mist color critical client I have ever had who is a nationally known graphic designer. He's going to be doing an exhibition of posters he's created over the years and wants to buy a printer to do the project.

I recommended the Canon to him as well.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Thanks for your good response! What HP printer would you suggest for 24" printing?

Thanks for your good response! What HP printer would you suggest for 24" printing?

For what you want this is the best printer you can get.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_work/products/professional_print/large_format/ipf6450/

I have used Epson printers in the past but after getting my first Canon 10 years ago I am still wonder why I ever used Epson printers. And after running HP latex machines I just can not see me going HP. Only thing that might attract me to an HP is the Gloss Enhancer models. The Canons are so trouble free, so amazingly accurate color that stays that way and so easy to print from especially the PS plug-in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back