A little guidance

mechanix

Here's my current situation:

We were sold a Canon ImageRunner XXXX for our design department years ago so that the designers can create comps quickly and an Epson Stylus 7600 for creating larger items and for more color accurate and impressive quality prints.

Well, the time has come to replace both and I've been advised to go with an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 and a Xerox Phaser 7760DN to replace these units.

In the 3 years we've had the cannon we've done Just over 100,000 prints (which I consider to be a small amount). That realistically turns out to be 2,777 prints per month. We are REALLY aiming for speed and accuracy with our comps, but is the 7760DN really the right machine for us?

The cost has skyrocketed on this implementation because we really know we want the 7900 and we would then get the external Fiery XF v4.1 RIP and use it to RIP to both machines.

Now that the rant is over, I'm looking for a better solution. We aren't a production house, we send our prints out to be done for the most part. We would like the 7900 to be able to handle more tasks for us in-house, but the cost when we add-on the SpectroProofer 24 (Don't even know if we need that), the X-Rite i1 Base Spectrophotometer (again, do we need that?), EFI Color Verify Option, and the EFI RIP we're looking at a lot of $$ and I'm wondering if it could be better spent.

Are there any other smaller shops out there or people just doing comps and a *little* production out there with a recommendation? We're not running a kinko's over here.

Thanks in advance...I'll take any info I can get, I'm an IT Administrator and I'm in control of the budget and want to make sure my design department gets what they need, not what everybody wants to sell them.

Any software RIP options out there that can run both of these machines?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back