A look at how offset production can and should work.

• Thread starter Deleted member 16349
  • Start date
A donkey and dah ....E=MC2.

Like the Artic and the Antarctic.

Both frozen in true intellect.

Very predictable.

Waiting on the great equator now to melt it all into a river of ....

A donkey and dah ....E=MC2.

Like the Artic and the Antarctic.

Both frozen in true intellect.

Very predictable.

Waiting on the great equator now to melt it all into a river of ....

I love it keep it up. You are hilarious. When you don't have an answer use humor as a smoke screen.

The employees at our facility along with many associate companies have been laughing so hard they were crying.

Not sure if I understand what D Ink Man is talking about regards to changing the ink per % image area.
So if a job was being printed on a 8 colour perfecter with each deck of CMYK/CMYK having a vastly different % image area your saying that the ink for each deck would have to be adjusted ?? What happens if the next job has a totally different % image area?
Do you intend for that ink to be thrown away, or somehow reworked for that specific % image area.
What happens when the gear side of the sheet has heavy % coverage and the operator side of the sheet has low % coverage ? By your thinking I gather you have to fill half the ink duct up with the adjusted ink and the other half of the ink duct up with another batch of adjusted ink, and hope like made that the ink doesn't move when its being worked in the duct or by the oscillating rollers.

Seems like a nightmare if you ask me. I think any reasonable production just went out the window.
"Boss" We have two urgent jobs that need to be printed, cut, folded & dispatched ASAP.
"Printer" Ok, I just have to adjust the ink depending on the % coverage on each cmyk form, for job one, then readjust the ink for the second job.
"Boss" Just get it done ASAP
"Printer" Oh S--- the damn coverage is different from one side of the sheet to the other, not happening ASAP anymore!!

D Ink Man, have I hit the mark or is the system your talking of totally different.

Lukew,
The concept is to keep the same flow rate of ink through the press. To further understand, what is ideal, would be each ink to reside precisely the same amount of time in the INK TRAIN.

The dynamics of this would be to take the complete burden of the inherent properties of the inks rheology away from it's constitution.

The following are some of the properties that are ultra important to produce premium lithograph, consistency, stable density control, and gorgeous tight micro emulsions. These properties are all contained in eac and every ink that is from the Mr. Senefelders's stone:

The Ink> STABILITY INK FILM THICKNESS HYDROPHYLLIC CHEMICAL MAKE UP TACK VISCOSITY RELEASE CAPABILTY

Sir, these are all properties that MUST be controlled in order to produce PERFECT LITHOGRAPHING.

This is why the process has not even come close or even near to its ideal platitude.

And..... If this sounds too far fetched for any ones way of thinking I ask you this...?>>>>>>> How far fetched is what Dearborn and ESP are doing with a one size fits all substrate operation? Pretty dam obscure I think for the multitude of layers of ink om paper offset style globally.

I don't drink beer often, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends.

D Ink Man

Lukew,
The concept is to keep the same flow rate of ink through the press. To further understand, what is ideal, would be each ink to reside precisely the same amount of time in the INK TRAIN.

The dynamics of this would be to take the complete burden of the inherent properties of the inks rheology away from it's constitution.

The following are some of the properties that are ultra important to produce premium lithograph, consistency, stable density control, and gorgeous tight micro emulsions. These properties are all contained in eac and every ink that is from the Mr. Senefelders's stone:

The Ink> STABILITY INK FILM THICKNESS HYDROPHYLLIC CHEMICAL MAKE UP TACK VISCOSITY RELEASE CAPABILTY

Sir, these are all properties that MUST be controlled in order to produce PERFECT LITHOGRAPHING.

This is why the process has not even come close or even near to its ideal platitude.

And..... If this sounds too far fetched for any ones way of thinking I ask you this...?>>>>>>> How far fetched is what Dearborn and ESP are doing with a one size fits all substrate operation? Pretty dam obscure I think for the multitude of layers of ink om paper offset style globally.

I don't drink beer often, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends.

D Ink Man

What is your recipe for gorgeous tight micro emulsions? Are there any fountains solutions that come close to this ability?

Recipes for ****

Recipes for ****

Gentlemen,

Let me add another ingredient to this recipe, yes a PDF

Now having a rest from my toil, quaffing some excellent "Theakston Old Peculier"

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Salient Point Water Interference.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 166
Gentlemen,

Let me add another ingredient to this recipe, yes a PDF

Now having a rest from my toil, quaffing some excellent "Theakston Old Peculier"

pdf contents

Salient Points
All the various dampening systems suffer to a more or less significant degree from water interference with the transfer of ink to the printing plate. For instance, whenever the format to be printed contains low circumferential image area in one region of the plate at a given position of overall press width and high circumferential image area in another cross-press location, there exists no consistent method, practice or apparatus to assure that dampening of the plate remains simultaneously trouble free in both regions in regard to regular and predictable inking to the plate and onto the substrate.

Regards, Alois

Many struggle with this while many others do not. I suggest this is a fountain solution ink compatibility issue.
Those that are synergetic do not have this problem.

Fountain Solution Concentrates

Fountain Solution Concentrates

Hello Green Printer

What is your recipe for gorgeous tight micro emulsions? Are there any fountains solutions that come close to this ability?

My answer is yes - very many of todays Fountain Solution Concentrates work successfully ----

otherwise all we would produce is - Sheet after Sheet showing Catch-Up

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen,

From friends in the industry and my "Moles" -- Esp Colour Printers print speciality, are

UK Football Weekly Programmes using A5 - A4 formats.

Regards, Alois

To clarify, firstly, we do not print football programmes.

Our work mix is purely from the commercial sector, however we run a series of software configurations that allow us to batch plan not only on sheet sizes/paperweights but ink profiles. With regards to D Ink Man, we come across sceptics everyday on what we do at ESP and I will offer you, what I offer to each of those, come and see for it yourself or I can send you the relevant links into our manufacturing apps, would be delighted to share either experience with anyone who cares to see it, we are currently scheduled to do over 1100 make-readies and 5.3 million impressions these next 6 days so you could see it in full flow.

Print happens to be a significant part of the end product for ESP but in no way are we a "printers"!!!, technology and process improvement allows us to maximise revenue opportunities based on standardised products. The other faces to market from the business allows us to get further up the life chain of printed products, thus controlling any variability in manufacturing.

To answer another point, the 140% quoted is based on sellable utilisation of press hours.

The driver for the overall recovery of the business is in eliminating touch points through automation and engaging the client base to ensure our commercial strategy is realised through variable costing on post press capacity and market intelligence, something I have been working on for over 5 years now and continue to do so daily.

Of course the consumable element of the press configurations we run are hugely important, however so is RBA, inpress control, color assistant and ink opt, they all interlink to leverage our operational capability.

Hope that answers a few points (without too much in depth stats etc).

Thanks for the interest.

Anthony

To clarify, firstly, we do not print football programmes.

Our work mix is purely from the commercial sector, however we run a series of software configurations that allow us to batch plan not only on sheet sizes/paperweights but ink profiles. With regards to D Ink Man, we come across sceptics everyday on what we do at ESP and I will offer you, what I offer to each of those, come and see for it yourself or I can send you the relevant links into our manufacturing apps, would be delighted to share either experience with anyone who cares to see it, we are currently scheduled to do over 1100 make-readies and 5.3 million impressions these next 6 days so you could see it in full flow.

Print happens to be a significant part of the end product for ESP but in no way are we a "printers"!!!, technology and process improvement allows us to maximise revenue opportunities based on standardised products. The other faces to market from the business allows us to get further up the life chain of printed products, thus controlling any variability in manufacturing.

To answer another point, the 140% quoted is based on sellable utilisation of press hours.

The driver for the overall recovery of the business is in eliminating touch points through automation and engaging the client base to ensure our commercial strategy is realised through variable costing on post press capacity and market intelligence, something I have been working on for over 5 years now and continue to do so daily.

Of course the consumable element of the press configurations we run are hugely important, however so is RBA, inpress control, color assistant and ink opt, they all interlink to leverage our operational capability.

Hope that answers a few points (without too much in depth stats etc).

Thanks for the interest.

Anthony

Thank you Anthony. Your's is not the only shop implementing these type of manufacturing techniques. But i will say that you have perfected it to probably be the most efficient offset manufacturing facility in the world.
The digital boys should take notice that a properly ran offset operation wipes their BUM.

Are they tops in the following areas, in the world?

1) Quality, repeat Quality.

2) Profitabilty.

3) Employee Development, Compensation and Satisfaction.

These are just a few of the bigger picture items that need to be revealed. Then and only then, can it be determined their total business effectiveness going forward.

D

2) Profitabilty.

These are just a few of the bigger picture items that need to be revealed. Then and only then, can it be determined their total business effectiveness going forward.

D

D Ink Man I think you should satisfy and justify your skepticism by taking up Anthony on his offers.

2) Profitabilty.

How do you define "quality"?

What profitability value would place ESP in the top worldwide?

What is the importance/relevance of Employee Development, Compensation and Satisfaction if quality and profitability goals are being achieved?

gordo

I give answers and get questions.

Quite a p-nomenonononononononononon.

Stay thirsty my friends. D

If your terms of reference aren't clear - then have you really given answers?

Indeed, I believe that you didn't give answers...instead you set criteria.

Gordo

Last edited:
It would be nice to be able to follow these practices - but in my experience the following is more likely . . .

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works

Practice is when everything works but no one knows why

In our shop, theory and practice are combined . . . nothing works and no one knows why . . . .

just sayin :rolleyes:

If your terms of reference aren't clear - then have you really given answers?

Indeed, I believe that you didn't give answers...instead you set criteria.

Gordo

I am qualified to set criteria by my experience in the fields of Green.

Quench thy thirst from my cup, which runneths over. D

I am qualified to set criteria by my experience in the fields of Green.

Quench thy thirst from my cup, which runneths over. D

I'm not disagreeing with you. However, for example, a term like "quality", although heavily used in this industry, is so vague as to be meaningless. So, if someone like you can bring clarity to the term in this context, I'm sure that it would be greatly appreciated and provide food for thought and discussion.

Gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back