AB Dick 8805 - impression woes

doctorsax13

Hi all,

I'm up a creek right now.

I have an 8805, similar to a 360 -- it has been running fine for the last year and then suddenly on friday lost the ability to make impression. As in, the timing of the feed is fine, and it will feed the paper through, BUT doesn't realize that it's feeding, so that it doesn't click the counter or bring the cylinders together to you know, make a print.

After some exploratory surgery, I have found that the mechanism triggered from the egg-shaped cam on the non-operative side of the blanket cylinder that triggers the count-click and the impression is seemingly out of time with the concave cam on the operative side of the blanket cylinder -- which is confusing to me because 1) there's no reason why that would all of a sudden go out of time and 2) those two cams are mostly independent of each other anyway, and change relative to each other when adjusting the vertical registration.

Does this make any kind of sense, and has anybody ever had this kind of issue with a 1-color AB Dick? There is no apparent electronic sensor to detect the paper, and honestly, I realized that I never did figure out how it KNOWS that paper's being fed through to impression.

Help please. I'll give you a cookie.

Chris

On a 360 there are little fingers that come down onto the sheet. If the fingers dont go down it goes on impression. These are located where the sheet goes into the press. I believe these are spring actuated and you may have just lost a spring. There ar three. One in the middle and one on each side. Might not be this but this is where the press knows to go on impression. We used to hide spit balls under these as the press would go on impression every revolution even when not feeding paper. Good practical joke to play on your coworker,

This appears to be similar to something I've encountered. On a 360, on the gear side, there is a horizontal "arm" that has a spring on it, it moves back and forth. Turn the hand wheel, or get some one to turn it, while you watch to see it move to its furthest movement out or towards delivery. You will see that there is an ajusting screw, (flat heat) It has something to do with the impression I'm sure.
Try turning that screw 1/4. Try clockwise, and feed a couple sheets thru. If you get a partial impression, try turning the screw more. If nothing try counter clockwise.
good luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back