AB Dick 9800 series/Ryobi 3200/Itek 975 question

PressguyTom

Hi all,

I run a small inplant print shop for a school. Currently, I have an ABDick 360 with an older style t-head and an AB Dick 9865 - 1 color. Both have standard dampening. The work I run is generally spot color to create our school's letterhead, business cards, envelopes, ncr, etc. I've been given a budget to replace the 9865 with another used machine. My first thought was to look for a newer model 9800 series AB Dick with T-head and Kompac or Crestline dampening. But after reading through several threads on this forum, I'm wondering if I should consider a Ryobi 3200/Itek 975. I guess I'm asking two questions: Is the Ryobi/Itek a better all around machine? And If I do go with the Itek or Ryobi, would the learning curve be steep or with my current knowledge running the AB Dicks, would the transition be somewhat easy?

Thanks for your input,
Tom H.

I work in a large school district, and we have Ryobi 3302 2 color with a Kompac, and an ABDick 9970. In my opinion the Ryobi is a MUCH better built press. We can run anything that the 9970 will run on the 3302, and the 2-4 color as well. The ABDick has had a lot of work done on it, and we're counting the days until it is gone. The Ryobi has 45mil on it and it's still going strong (yes, 45mil ;) The Ryobi is pretty simple to learn if you have the basics down. Easy adjustments for registration, both up/down and side to side (which can be done on the fly). For me, if these are your choices it's a no brainer.....go with the Ryobi.

Ryobi is backwards to Abdick. If you push something on an ab dick you have to pull it on a ryobi. As previously stated get a 3302 and learn it. A 975 is a glorified ab dick and a T head is a punishment to a press operator. A year after you own a 3302 you will wonder why you ever dealt with a Thead. You are better off getting a ryobi then a different AB Dick but the 3302 is the way to go.

Thanks Captain Kirk and RGPW17100, your replies are much appreciated. I'd love to get a 3302 and learn to run it, but I think it may be outside of my budget. I will add this to my wish list and maybe my employer can find a little more money for me.
Thanks again,
Tom H.

With all due respect, the Itek 975 is not a glorified AB Dick press.
It is single color machine/press/duplicator, built to the Ryobi standard, under the Itek branding. It's feeder is much different than AB Dick, and to memory, uses 5 ply blankets; much more forgiving for envelopes than AB Dick's 3 ply.
I would opt for a Ryobi 3200/Itek 975 over AB Dick 9800 series every time.
Yes, T-Heads are junk compared to a true 2 color (3302/3975)

I have 40 million on my 3302 which sits alongside a (newer) 9800. I won't touch the AB Dick, even with a mixed bag of flat sheet & envelopes to get through.

I agree the 975 is a much better machine then the Ab Dick. My meaning of glorified is that it is still a duplicator and does similar type work as an AB Dick. The Machine is built much better and the feeder allows you to do more things then you can do with an AB Dick. That said is the learning curve to run a 975. To me everything was backwards. the sheet seperators and the removable sucker feet the vacuum system, Blanket impression were all things that were different to me. It took me a full year to be comfortable with this press after running an ab dick for 10 years.

PressguyTom,
I reached out to you via an email to help answer your questions and request.
I wish you luck on your purchase to replace the 9865, I still find it hard to believe I still have parts for that machine. But anyway here are my choices:
9800/9910 in good shape No electronics just 2 switches and 2 AC motors. The little Ryobi’s use inverters and a black box. Ryobi copied the direct in feed style of the AB Dick and in my humble opinion did a poor job. It is like some people prefer USA made cars, some people prefer Imports.
The Printmaster’s are good also from Heidelberg or made in the USA by Baum folder. Presstek killed AB Dick when they purchased the company and under the RYOBI umbrella they stopped production of one great printing money maker.
Good Luck

I wouldn't hesitate getting a 9810 with the t-head. If you're not running anything too fancy and it sounds like you're not, the ab dick is pretty solid. Easy to use, easy to work on. I don't think I'd bother with a 3302 just to do spot color. Like small offset guy said, grab a 9810 that doesn't have electronics. Even less BS to deal with.

Watch for auctions in the area. Even ebay has some print shops desperate to unload equipment. You'd be surprised how many presses are for sale by small shops going under these days.

See if there are any brokers in your state handling used printing equipment. Your nearest paper company should be able to give you some names. The brokers know who is selling what and who's going out of business, and can keep an eye out for what you want.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back