Accuset 1000 - Changing Rips

I have been using my Accuset 1000 with Viper 1.9.2. Everything works great.

I just picked up another Accuset 1000 and a computer with Highwater Torrent Rip 6.
It seems to work great, too.

However, when I plug the Accuset that I was using with Viper into the Highwater Rip, it doesn't communicate.

Is there something I have to do to set it up?

Thank you for your time and interest.

- Ryan

Ryan,

When you change to the Highwater Rip, which data cable did you use. You should have used the one with the Highwater RiP.

STSTech

I used the cable plugged into the computer running the Highwater RIP. I realize having two working systems is kind of a good problem to have, but in the interest of redundancy I want to be able to swap them as needed.

Is there anything else that's done to the imagesetter itself, when switching RIPS? I remember some RIP selection stuff in the Agfaset program but can't recall exactly.

Ryan,

From your first post, I assumed that you checked out the new Accuset 1K and Highwater Rip on your network and it worked. If
they work fine, them changing to different Accuset has got to work.

STSTech

Forget about AgfaSet when work with Harlequin based RIP!

Probably you have an unique case at APIS part of Accuset main board IEC when one of input or output buffers from chips 75ALS192 or 75ALS193 is defective.
Despite the fact Highwater APIS interface uses the same data exchange protocol, physically not all the same pins are in use as VIPER/Taipan does.
I've met the same case many years ago when I connected my diagnostics DOLCH computer to Accuset workin' well with Navigator RIP.

Last edited:
Fascinating. Thank you both for the insight.

I actually have a third Accuset so I will test with that and report back.

I wonder how many Accusets is too many?

Fascinating. Thank you both for the insight.

I actually have a third Accuset so I will test with that and report back.

I wonder how many Accusets is too many?

If the "failure to communicate" comes up when trying to print from an Adobe application then the problem is with the placement of the Accuset PPD when using OS X on your macs. The PPD must be placed in the default OS X location or the Adobe app won't see it and will result in a failure to communicate error.

The rip is running on Windows 2000 Server. The problem happens within the rip software. For example, on the machine that works, I can advance and cut the film through the rip. When I plug the cable into the other Accuset and try to advance the film, the rip software times out and gives me an error that it can't communicate with the Accuset.

The same machine performs flawlessly with Viper 1.9.2.

Ryan,

Does the Accuset that you are trying to use have an auto cutter, and if it does,is the auto cutter set on>

STSTech

Both machines have an auto cutter, and it is on.

I also tried to image a .PDF through the RIP. Successful on the machine that came with the Highwater Rip, no go on the other.

I would really like to keep these machines going for the next five years. Certainly that will require a skilled tech. Do you know anyone who works in my area, which is Central Louisiana?

Ryan,
We have FE's in Dallas and Atlanta that can handle your issue. Send me a PM with your phone number, so we can work something out.

STSTech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back