05/06/2010 11:32:35 AM - Page 1 : Plane ’Gray’ ended
05/06/2010 11:34:35 AM - Warning : a job timeout occurred
05/06/2010 11:34:35 AM - The engine seems to be in a pending busy state
05/06/2010 11:34:35 AM - Trying to reset the engine
05/06/2010 11:34:57 AM - Job ’HTV-T-Back.ai’ (143) ended

The accuset control panel has
Busy
rip active 0c //sometimes it will send through a few centimeters

Attached are two files from the rip job log which don’t seem to match the engine message
View attachment log.txt View attachment Log message.txt

The file was just plane black text converted to outlines and sent from ai cs4 to the named pipe

Sorry about the long post I hope I haven’t scared everyone off

Thanks

Adam

print a test from the control panel and see if accuset machine is in working condition
(offline, test, try test#0 for example,...)

Did you check F1 and F2 fuses at Accuset main board (IEC)?
Just pull them out.
One more Fuse (the same body) installed at APIS PAC board.
If all fuses are OK, the problem at that PAC board: one channel of data exchange RIP -imagesetter has broken, and that channel is responsible for Ready-Busy signal from Accuset.

My guess would be that you should check if your pac driver is in order. You can reinstall it and see if this solves your issue if not maybe you need a new apis pac connection. I use to support this aqcuipment and it happened sometimes.
Good luck with it and keep us posted

Hi Guys
I checked the fuses and they were good
I unplugged the cable plugged it back in made sure it was all tight
I sent a small file through the tcp/ip channel and it worked fine
I sent a different one through the pipe from the front end and it worked fine
shut it all down came back an hour later sent another file and it timed out
tried again with one of the first two and it timed out too

I think the driver is ok I did a reinstall between the two posts

Ita when you wrote apis connection did you mean I need a new apis pac board or something with the cable connectors

Thanks

Adam

For any reason the engine can not respond to the RIP if it has finished a Scanline... Now the RIP waits for this message...until the RIP decides there is a timeout

Could be a problem with the PAC Board, maybe overheaten because the filters in your PC are clogged..
Can be APIS Cable (which goes from PAC to Imagesetter... APIS is dived in Video and Control_Signals.
The Status of the engine will be posted via Control_Signals (diferent wires inside of that cable)

Most of the times just reinstaling your apis driver is enough but maybe you need a new pac board. I would contact the guys that are giving you service on the accuset and its RIP.
Ita

If you have a technitian supporting your shop, maybe worth to try make a new cable.
The cable will connect this pci card
bild.jpg

to the gray IDC40 connector (bottom right of next picture)
d1a3a29b874293f18b28d50568534c58.JPG

The cable that can be made for testing is a normal:
5351d1221311464-24-cables-40-pin-ide-cable-24-cables-40-pin-ide-cable.jpg

with the one end changed to connector matching the PCI card:
D37FS.jpg

(hint: the above connector should be selected for flat cable so can be fitted in seconds on the cable I displayed above).

I have set two (of many) accuset machines working with such cables for many years now.
If the problem exists on the PCI card, there is a possibility to repair it.

Hi Guys

when I shut down I turned of the image setter and rip pc

today I tried to check the cable but couldn't do much so I plugged it all back in
sent a file it timed out so I jiggled the cable and held it straight out the back of the pc and the next file worked fine I'm going to try and get a new cable organised and see if that fixes it but in the mean time I'll try and eliminate other possibilities

dose anybody know if the driver here would be any different than the one on the install disk
http://printplanet.com/forums/agfa-systems/20241-agfa-pac-pci-bus-apis-drivers-w2k

Thanks

Adam

time-out ai file

time-out ai file

try sending another file that also originate from ai as a text file (not outlines)
you might have too many points on the file or post the actual file

APIS cable... as I told you before.
Just keep it straight (short and long parts) and be happy!
You are not alone on the Earth, who had the same sh.....y problem (I've known 7-8 cases when that happened and spent many hours waiting for problem's coming back)
... And never ever step on that cable!!!

Driver is the same since AGFA stopped making any own equipment and switched to Dainippon Screen OEM

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help everyone its been a great response
right now I'm trying to organise a new cable and hopefully that will fix my problem
i have to order what i need from over seas so its might take a while but i will let you all know how it turns
if it works i will reply to this thread if it doesn't i might start a new thread titled
"this f@*%^#g! accuset wheres my hammer"

Dont blame Accuset - that was AGFA working horse for almost 30 years.
Two of my customers (chineese originally) in Canada solved that problem with woodstick and duct tape (to keep cables straight)... and still are happy :)

hi i got what i needed for a new cable and put it together with a 1 to 1 pin-out
and now the apis driver wont start but it will with the old cable
so the the pins are obviously wrong dose anybody know what the correct pin-out is for the
d37 plug on the accuset to the d62 plug on the pac board
thanks
adam

Adam,
I'm 100% sure your new problem came from grey flat/ribbon cable.
Every pin in plugs on that kind of cables has a V-shaped little knife and that knife did not cut the insulation of one or more wires.
I've met that problem when I made such a kind of cables by myself.
You need 2 needle-like probes for multimeter to check every pin-hole/wire in the plugs.
If you will find no contact - grip the plugs (one-by-one) in a vice and apply little more pressure. The vice is better than a hammer.
Dont squeeze vice lips hard!
All APIS cables (except short "PAC - to -imagesetter" with 3 rows (or lines, depends on how you look at the plug) on one side and 2 rows on the second side and ribbon cables for "Accuset - RIP" connection are straight: 1->1; 2->2 and so on...

Last edited:
i didn't use that sort of connector because i didn't think i could press it well enough with out the proper crimper didn't think of using a vice that would have been easy but i couldn't get a short length of 40way ribbon so i went with a solder d37 and d62 with a 1 to 1 i tested it with the multimeter and it seems ok

the original cable is a few meters long with d37 plugs on each end and i have a shorter cable 40cm long with a d37 that plugs into the long cable and a 62 that plugs into the apis card

this is the d62 pin 1 is top left it is definitely not 1 to 1
it goes 1>32 2>34 5>15 6>17 and so on pin 50 connects to pin 2 and 27 on the d37

the long cable docent have pin 19 at either end and the short cable the d37 doesn't have anything in the socket for pin 36 and 37

is that how it is suppose to be

Thanks

Adam

Yes, Adam.
Short cable has tricky pinout, and that short cable is exactly the source of user's headaches.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back