Accuset800+/Taipan 2.02 connection issues

nickg

Hi Everyone

First post so here goes..
I have an Accuset 800+ and Taipan 2 rip, running on an old pentium2 450, with NT4. The system ran very well for years and then wasn't used for approx 18 months. I'm trying to get it up and running again but it just won't connect. Currently it can't find the apis driver in the imaging view/engine details even though it says its connected and states the job went through. Last week it couldn't find the dongle but still managed to image films (complete with big agfa logos and lines all over the images!*&%$!), that's been sorted but now it cant see the apis card again. How can the rip find the printer and say its connected yet say it can't find the apis driver? Sorry if I sound really confused but I am!
Trying to avoid purchasing new rip and server if possible.

Thanks
Nick

Unless you are looking to get rid of the AccuSet anytime soon, spend the $8,000 to get a new Harlequin RIP and platform. With the capabilities of the new RIP, you won't have to worry about work arounds for your files. As long as you use it for at leas the next year your ROI will be satisfied.

The Harlequin can also be utilized in your future investments as a RIP for another device, or as a 1 bit TIFF catcher.

Thanks Don, we'll be keeping the accuset and a new rip and platform looks like the only way -if I can convince the Minister of finance that is.

Good luck. Just keep track of the time wasted with the presses sitting idle. How much does it cost for each piece of film you have to sent out for? What about an error that is found after you get the film back or the job is on press? With out having a reliable device of your own, working properly, again more wasted time and money....

"It's better to spend some time and reinstall WinNT and Taipan SW from the scratch."

Why would this be better? Restricting yourself to an old RIP is anything but productive...

DonBlock - sorry, man; I mean SW reinstallation as a temporary solution for them 'cause he has to....."convince the Minister of finance" (C) and from my personal experience it takes a lot of time :)
Certainly, Taipan 2.02 is the Echo from the Past - PS Level2, can't rip PDFs , WinNT4.0 and etc

Last edited:
I agree that it may work for a temporary solution, but as we all know, those temporary solutions will not be temporary if he can get it up and running until the next time it crashes. Now is the best time to condemn the box and upgrade. If should be well off the books, and now is the time to purchase a new RIP, 179 it for this year as a compete write off..........

You have to think about all aspects of a purchase / upgrade these days...

:):):):)
Got it going! Yippee!
reinstalled all software again for the tenth time but left nt with just service pack 1 instead of 6??
downloaded a wibukey file from wibu.com??
I dont know what worked but thanks guys for your input
Cheers

Good News, sort of......

Hopefully this little scare of being down with an old RIP will help you to convince the Lords of Finance to upgrade to a new system. Better to do it because you need to for compatibility with today's software than to have to rush because you are down....

:):):):)
Got it going! Yippee!
reinstalled all software again for the tenth time but left nt with just service pack 1 instead of 6??
downloaded a wibukey file from wibu.com??
I dont know what worked but thanks guys for your input
Cheers

Bingo! Taipan isn't compatible with anything past service pack 4.
and there are lots of places to buy Harlequin Rip's, the best solution in your case.

Thanks Jim
If only I (and Agfa) knew that in the first place, would've never had a problem:mad:;)
A new Harlequin would be sweet but old tight a$$ says no!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back