Acrobat CC

I'm very disappointed with the removal of almost all the features from the menu bar. We use two monitors at each of our workstations, and generally have nothing but the document window maximized on the primary monitor, with all of the palettes and buttons on the second monitor so we don't have to waste time opening, closing and moving things to use the tools without covering up the document window.

In Acrobat 10 and 11, if I open up the tools, the document window effectively shrinks, and I have no way of undocking the tools to place them on the second monitor. This is really frustrating when working with a massive map that takes a full minute to render, since opening up the tools instantly shrinks the viewing area and forces a redraw. Also, no tool is always in the same location on the screen. E.g., if you want to choose "convert colors," the location you need to click changes based on which tool categories are expanded. What would otherwise become practically muscle memory instead becomes this routine: click on "tools," click any disclosed arrow, wait for the animation, find "print production," click the arrow, wait for the animation, find "convert colors," click. I could almost do that with my eyes closed prior to Acrobat 10. Those extra seconds add up fast.

If you think Acrobat 9 is old, we're still mostly using Acrobat 7 even though we have each of the newer versions. Acrobat 7 is the last version that allows you to efficiently run through a PDF page-by-page turning the black ink off and on in output preview, and it runs pretty fast considering its PowerPC code running inside Rosetta on OS X 10.6. In later versions, you hit page-down on the keyboard to go to the next page, move the mouse inside the output preview window, click on it to give it focus, click again on the black ink a few times to toggle it off and on (but not too fast!), move the mouse back to the document window, click to give it focus, then repeat. In Acrobat 7, its page-down, click, click, page-down, click,click, etc. You don't need to watch the mouse cursor since you don't need to move the cursor off the black ink check box. It's just clicking with one hand and pressing the same key with the other. We like to optimize everything as much as possible to allow our press operators to produce the best product with the least difficulty, and sadly, Acrobat 7 still gets the job done better than the 4 major versions that have succeeded it.

In Acrobat 10 and 11, if I open up the tools, the document window effectively shrinks, and I have no way of undocking the tools to place them on the second monitor.

No but you CAN put them up in to the toolbar so that your favorite tools are right there in front of you! And with Acrobat XI, you can put them into sets, if you use them in common groups.

E.g., if you want to choose "convert colors," the location you need to click changes based on which tool categories are expanded.

Again, with Acrobat XI, you can create your own groups of tools.

If you think Acrobat 9 is old, we're still mostly using Acrobat 7 even though we have each of the newer versions.

I hope you aren't working with PDF/X documents, since that version of Acrobat displays them incorrectly.

Acrobat 7 is the last version that allows you to efficiently run through a PDF page-by-page turning the black ink off and on in output preview. In later versions, you hit page-down on the keyboard to go to the next page, move the mouse inside the output preview window, click on it to give it focus, click again on the black ink a few times to toggle it off and on (but not too fast!), move the mouse back to the document window, click to give it focus, then repeat.

This change was made back in Acrobat 9 when we added a LOT of new features to the Output Preview window including the Object Inspector. In all that time, this is the first time that anyone has even told me that those changes were a problem. Can you give me an idea why are you even doing this "on/off black, switch page, on/off black, wash, rinse, repeat" operation??

Change never is easy, but for the professionals in here that like to check out new options:
PACKZ Software GmbH
Here you can find a new professional pdf editor that has all the tools needed to prepare a print ready file. And it is fast to:=)

Change never is easy, but for the professionals in here that like to check out new options:
PACKZ Software GmbH
Here you can find a new professional pdf editor that has all the tools needed to prepare a print ready file. And it is fast to:=)

Thanks CHM, the teaser looks good for those in packaging (trapping, object level screening etc). I am interested in a live demo to kick the tyres with, rather than a web demo. Please post back if you find out that they have updated the demo!

For the moment, Acrobat Pro and PitStop Pro 12 still appear to rule the roost.

Stephen Marsh

In all that time, this is the first time that anyone has even told me that those changes were a problem. Can you give me an idea why are you even doing this "on/off black, switch page, on/off black, wash, rinse, repeat" operation??

He's checking the content of the black plate, Leonard. Has to be done either on a page-by-page basis, or on the imposed flat. Prepress folks will flash the black plate because you really can't see the whole image all at once. You focus on an area, and flash the black plate, focus on another area, flash the black plate, et cetera.

I'm not a fan of the UI in X and XI, either, but then, I wasn't called in on that meeting. In other words, nobody is interested in my opinion on the matter, and I accept that. :~) However, I do wish that the design groups would keep in mind that every change in the UI costs users' money. That money is in the form of production time spent looking for this or that tool.

I recognize that I can (sort of) customize the toolbars, but I can't find how to move that configuration from one copy/version of Acrobat to another.

. . . I do wish that the design groups would keep in mind that every change in the UI costs users' money. That money is in the form of production time spent looking for this or that tool.

This is an important concept that is obviously not appreciated at Adobe!

It's especially frustrating when working with the now 7 versions of CS that we have on each machine. (We still process files in the original version they were created with. I know it's supposedly not necessary now, but we were burned WAY too many times back in the CS 2-3-4 days to risk it). The UI has changed substantially with each release and I fail to see any appreciable benefit to the changes since CS4.

I would second the complaint about the output preview window sealing the focus. It should not behave like a second document window. It should behave like a palette, like it does in InDesign. Also, it is too big. It should be smaller, and resizable like it is in indesign. Lastly, it needs a clear way to set the simulation profile to none, so we can be sure that the colors values in the separation list are actually what it in the file.

I don't really like the tool panels on the right instead of the menu bar, however it is good to know they can be added to the tool bar. I don't really see how removing everything from the menu bar makes the program simpler for novice users. My biggest complaint about the tool bar is that it is no longer static, but now is part of the document window. This makes tools hard to find, because they keep moving as the window is resized, so nothing is ever in the same place.

He's checking the content of the black plate, Leonard. Has to be done either on a page-by-page basis, or on the imposed flat. Prepress folks will flash the black plate because you really can't see the whole image all at once. You focus on an area, and flash the black plate, focus on another area, flash the black plate, et cetera.

Seems pretty silly to me. I assume that the underlying reason is just to check a single plate. In which case, why not just turn off the others and see what's on the black one? Why flash??

If someone can explain to me what the underlying point of is, perhaps we can figure out something for a future release to have this optimized...

However, I do wish that the design groups would keep in mind that every change in the UI costs users' money. That money is in the form of production time spent looking for this or that tool.

Oh we know that. But with all the potential users of Acrobat, what may be great for some users is painful for others. We cannot make everyone happy :(.

I recognize that I can (sort of) customize the toolbars,
but I can't find how to move that configuration from one copy/version of Acrobat to another.

Customize->Manage Tool Sets>Import or Export.

I would second the complaint about the output preview window sealing the focus. It should not behave like a second document window. It should behave like a palette, like it does in InDesign.

If we did that, then it would not be possible to navigate the elements via the keyboard - which is extremely important to users that are using assistive technology or other non-mouse-based means for navigation.

Also, it is too big. It should be smaller, and resizable like it is in indesign.

It's a bit smaller (I think about 50 pixels, IIRC) in Acrobat XI. What would you remove to make it smaller? Resizable == scrolling, whihc isn't good...

Lastly, it needs a clear way to set the simulation profile to none, so we can be sure that the colors values in the separation list are actually what it in the file.

Given that you are on a screen BUT you want show it (most likely) as CMYK, we need to know how to treat those values - which means a profile. Also, CMYK numbers are MEANINGLESS in the real world since they are only valid against a specific profile or device configuration - for which you need a profile.

My biggest complaint about the tool bar is that it is no longer static, but now is part of the document window. This makes tools hard to find, because they keep moving as the window is resized, so nothing is ever in the same place.

On multiple monitors or very large screen, having them in the document is a HUGE win. In addition, the tools are tied to the document, so that switching documents keeps the tools consistent.

If I could ask for anything, it would be to have the ability to have palettes remain static, where I left them last time I opened a PDF. For example sep preview always on my second monitor. I realize the other users of the product may not need this option, but printers do. For the coders, it isn't much more than a slight code change. An existing code. That has been around for years.

Change for the sake of change is coder's ego. Moving everything around to make secretaries happy is silly, they are the last people you want to introduce change too. But whatever, Adobe for now has us at their will (printers).

It is almost like Adobe is thinking the general population has the luxury to spend their working hours learning new products every couple of years, for no benefit to said users.

I personally can adapt to change. My employees however just want to get jobs done. When pallets change, and they have to figure stuff out live on the job, production slows, and frustration is high.

Not your problem Leonard, I understand that. But it is ours.

Seems pretty silly to me. I assume that the underlying reason is just to check a single plate. In which case, why not just turn off the others and see what's on the black one? Why flash??

If someone can explain to me what the underlying point of is, perhaps we can figure out something for a future release to have this optimized...

Turning off the C, M, and Y plates shows you whats on the black plate, but we need to know that that information IS NOT on the other plates. The way to do this is turn off the black plate - then black only elements disappear. If you turn off the black plate and you still have text - you probably have a problem.

Customize->Manage Tool Sets>Import or Export.

Thank you, Leonard.

If I could ask for anything, it would be to have the ability to have palettes remain static, where I left them last time I opened a PDF. For example sep preview always on my second monitor. I realize the other users of the product may not need this option, but printers do. For the coders, it isn't much more than a slight code change. An existing code. That has been around for years.

We already do that, and have for years. The few remaining secondary windows, such as Output Preview, Preflight, etc. all remember where you last left them and re-open them in that same place - including across multiple monitors. Within the same major version of the application, but not across upgrades.

Turning off the C, M, and Y plates shows you whats on the black plate, but we need to know that that information IS NOT on the other plates. The way to do this is turn off the black plate - then black only elements disappear. If you turn off the black plate and you still have text - you probably have a problem.

If that's all - why not just use Preflight's built-in check for "Text is Rich Black"? That will not only show you _IF_ you have the problem but WHERE you have it. It can even be run in batch.

It is targeted at professionals - Print Professionals, Legal Professionals, Government Professionals, Engineering Professionals, Education Professionals, Geospatial Professionals, and dozens and dozens of other professionals for whom we have added features to the product over its 20 year history!

::shudder:: With the amount of errors, continual sign in prompts, account subscription problems... I just can't see how ANYONE can use this software professionally. Adobe's forums are rife with people's problem's with Adobe's new fangled CC. I can't see how any "professional" can get any work done.

We already do that, and have for years. The few remaining secondary windows, such as Output Preview, Preflight, etc. all remember where you last left them and re-open them in that same place - including across multiple monitors. Within the same major version of the application, but not across upgrades.

Would be nice if it didn't close the palettes when one quits the program is what I meant. When re launching the app, one must reopen palettes they commonly use. Non of the other adobe apps do that.

If that's all - why not just use Preflight's built-in check for "Text is Rich Black"? That will not only show you _IF_ you have the problem but WHERE you have it. It can even be run in batch.

It isn't just for checking black only text. And your preflight solution doesn't seem to check for images that should be black only, but are indeed cmyk, or RGB. There might be preflight checks for this as well, but I (and many others) have found it is faster to view the separations than it is to run several preflights and then go thru all the reports.

It is also used for checking spot colors, where designers have either multiple named Pantone colors, or Pantone colors converted to process in linked files. I know there isn't a preflight for this situation.

::shudder:: With the amount of errors, continual sign in prompts, account subscription problems... I just can't see how ANYONE can use this software professionally. Adobe's forums are rife with people's problem's with Adobe's new fangled CC. I can't see how any "professional" can get any work done.

Brent, we are NOT talking about the Creative Cloud here. We are talking about Adobe Acrobat Professional which is sold primarily as a separate product, but also to be included in the CC.

Would be nice if it didn't close the palettes when one quits the program is what I meant. When re launching the app, one must reopen palettes they commonly use. Non of the other adobe apps do that.

But the few palettes in Acrobat aren't designed to be kept open all the time. They are things you open, use, and then close.

It isn't just for checking black only text. And your preflight solution doesn't seem to check for images that should be black only, but are indeed cmyk, or RGB. There might be preflight checks for this as well, but I (and many others) have found it is faster to view the separations than it is to run several preflights and then go thru all the reports.

There are checks for all of that. And they can be combined into a single profile that can be run. So you need only check a single check and look at a single report. How much easier do you want it?!?

It is also used for checking spot colors, where designers have either multiple named Pantone colors, or Pantone colors converted to process in linked files. I know there isn't a preflight for this situation.

Of course there is! Been in Acrobat since version 9. You can check for "same color but different names" or "same name but different colors" (or both). You can also check for presence or absence of a specific named color.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back