Acrobat (latest) and large number page PDFs

kaiserwilhelm

I thought it was my machine. (2 year old Mac Pro Cylinder with 32 gig ram). So, I wiped a partition and did a brand new install of El Capitan and the entire CC Suite (2015)
If I open a 150,000 page PDF by double clicking (or dragging onto an already open Acrobat) it absolutely FREEZES over and over and over when I try to go to a second page.

IF - I have a stupid little tiny pdf open first, then repeat the above - zero issues.
Ideas?

That's a higher number of pages than any PDF I've worked with by a factor of at least eight. Have you had experience with PDFs of such a high page count behaving better?

The page objects in the PDF are usually nested in a balanced tree structure. Perhaps the page objects in your problematic file aren't structured well (like one object that contains all 150,000 pages). How was the PDF created?

Hmm, is the an upper limit to the amount of pages Acrobat can work with, perhaps some power of 2? I'm thinking that above 2^16 (65,536) might give Acrobat issues. Just a thought.

I thought it was my machine. (2 year old Mac Pro Cylinder with 32 gig ram). So, I wiped a partition and did a brand new install of El Capitan and the entire CC Suite (2015)
If I open a 150,000 page PDF by double clicking (or dragging onto an already open Acrobat) it absolutely FREEZES over and over and over when I try to go to a second page.

IF - I have a stupid little tiny pdf open first, then repeat the above - zero issues.
Ideas?

Open it with a demo copy of callas pdfToolbox desktop. I can try it with mine.

If there is a limit it's pretty high. I have a 600,000 page pdf that opens in Acrobat

To test this out, although I am on the road right now and have somewhat limited access to some of my biggest PDF files, I just opened a bunch of 150,000 and 195,000 page PDF files without any issues whatsoever in terms of navigating between pages.

We are aware of PDF files of millions of pages, but are not aware of any general issue with opening and navigating (or anything else) with such files.

Do you have any plug-ins installed? You might want to check on those to make sure you have the latest updates and if you do, selectively uninstall and see if the plug-ins are the smoking variable.

- Dov

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back