Acrobat save as PostScript - font handling options

local1

When saving as postscript using Acrobat you get three options for font handling.

The "Fonts & Resource policy" can be set to:
1. Send at start
2. Send by range
3. Send for each page

Do you use one vs the other or ever have a difference between them?

Thanks,
Local1

Re: Acrobat save as PostScript - font handling options

local1,

ive saved thousands of PS files from acrobat, and have never given this setting a 2nd look, ive never changed it. i just looked, and i have it on "send for each page". i have never had any kind of a font issue related to this setting.

cr

Yes, same here.
Although recently I have had two jobs from different sources. Each was saved as postscript using the send with every page option selected. Once distilled in distiller 7 all would be fine on screen. You would then print to laser from acrobat or rip to plate and letters would either drop out or change to a different character. If I went back to original file and saved postscript with font options of send at start selected the resulting file would have no troubles.

This just makes me question which is safer and why the option is even available.

that is VERY interesting. im going to file that one away, in case something like that ever comes up again. who knows, maybe it has been an issue for me at some time in the past, and i just havent realized it.

cr

Thanks for the link cr.

Now get this . . .

Using Acrobat 7.0.9 on mac
Use local fonts is unchecked in Acrobat.
Take original file and extract one problem page.
Save as ps twice - once with fonts set to at start and once with fonts set to each page.
Distill these files that are each one page only using distiller 8.10

The send at start file looks and prints ok.
The send for each page looks bad and has crazy swapping and overlapping of letters.

oh man, i dont like the sound of that. now i have one more thing i need to worry about! this is a setting i have never even given a thought to in the past, now im getting the willies about it.

i wonder what the folks at adobe would have to offer about it? maybe someone has posted on this topic over there. ill try to take a look later, if i get a minute, or if you learn anything more on it let me know.

cr

local1,

Looks like you've found the culprit. Now, how do we get Adobe to listen and remove this option, or in the least setting the default to Send at Start?

Good job local1.

Don

Well, it looks like you found the problem, but now I wonder. Why is it that 'Send at Start' fixes the problem for one person, while 'Send for each page' fixes the issue for another person?

Don

don,

im not so sure...joe on the other thread (see link above) claims that he had some issues using "send at start", and when he uses "send for each page" he is good. i wonder if this is a case by case issue. i have always done mine "send for each page" with no apparent problems.

not saying anyone is right or wrong, im just going to keep it in mind if i ever have this kind of issue.

cr

Yea, I thought I had it going good with the send for each page for a long time. Then stuff like this shows up. Can't go either way all the time it seems.

Don, I'm like you and want Adobe to fix it. They understand it better than me, I only get bit by it.

Have taken it a bit further and can finally get the problem to show up sortive.

Take a problem page and run it thru the acro 8 preflight using the PDF/A-1A compliance.
It points out two fonts that cannot be mapped to unicode and will not turn the file into a A1A compliant file.
By chance one of them is the font that wigs out.

Doesn't really answer anything but at least it throws a flag up, it is the only thing that has.

Thanks all,

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back