adding the file name to a document before printing

ecarbone

I have 1,500 versions of a pdf file. The pdf files look very similar save for a few lines of text.

In order to facilitate packing and shipping, the client has allowed us to print the actual file name onto the bottom right-hand corner of each printed piece.

So how do I do this?

If the first PDF file is named "XMEF.pdf" then I need "XMEF" to appear at the bottom right-hand corner of each printed piece, in 7 point Arial.

Manually adding a text box to the bottom of every PDF file and then re-saving the PDF file is not practical so I'm looking for an automated solution.

At first I thought my imposition software would be the best place to start.
Unfortunately (as far as I can tell) SignaStation doesnt allow you to drop a 'variable' slug line on the layout. Neither does Metrix.

Are there any imposition programs that have this feature?

Or...
Are there any automated / hotfolder -type programs (like Pitstop Server? Callas pdfToolbox Server?) that will automatically add a line of text to the bottom of each PDF file and re-save it? (maybe the 'Stamp' tool?)

Thanks.

Re: adding the file name to a document before printing

Hi ecarbone,

If you're using a Hqn RIP to print/RIP each PDF file seperately, you could write a Page Feature to do just this.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,
Hamillroad Software Limited.
www.firstproof.com
www.hamillroad.com

Have you tried using applescript? If you look around the web i'm sure that you can find something of the sort.

Within the EskoArtwork BackStage workflow there is something called "Smart Marks". With Smart Marks we can take a variable, (say the FileName), and extract a portion of it, (say everything before ".pdf "), and place that in whatever style of text you'd like anywhere on the page.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back