Adobe CS versions

Sazack

Is it still a good idea to open CS apps like InDesign and Illustrator in the original version that they were created in or is it better to open in the latest version on my computer?

I have had things change when opening up an InDesign CS2 file using InDesign CS3, so I try to use the version that the file was created in.

-Sev

It is unpractical, though I would recommend if you open in a different version than a document is made to have it proofed just in case.

InDesign has had some changes in how text is inset in non-rectangular frames (including rectangles with corneroptions other than normal), otherwise it is usually less problematic moving to a newer version than to move to an older version.

For InDesign, we got an app off the web called InDesignProxy. You drag the file onto it and it opens the correct version of InDesign except if it is CS5.

If I still have the apps on my workstation, why is it impractical?

Had a large format printer we outsource to downsave my Illy CS5 File to Illy4 and a 5th color in a logo converted to process on one file but not on a second file using the same logo.

I like the latest and greatest CS5 for everything.

why not exchange the file as a PDF/X file ?

why not exchange the file as a PDF/X file ?

Had a large format printer we outsource to downsave my Illy CS5 File to Illy4 and a 5th color in a logo converted to process on one file but not on a second file using the same logo.

I like the latest and greatest CS5 for everything.

What is it they need to do with this file that they could not do it to a PDF file ?

Or - Is this layers related ? Are they (or you) aware that PDF files can be exported from Illustrator that contain the layers ( one needs the Callas pdfToolBox gadgetry to make the layers conform to PDF/X-4 )

It's display work with die vinyls that were set to overprint and they wanted to remove them from the rip file...why? do not know......more to the point is that things can definitely change when down saving.

@ Santa - yes - this is a typical workflow planning problem - one popular method is to create a Spot Color named DIELINE - and always color the die line that color.

The reason we need it ALSO to be set to OVERPRINT is so it does not happen to Knock Out or interfere in any of the CMYK or any other spot color.

So, if you have something like this DIELINE spot color - in that way, they can either ignore spot colors in the RIP settings, or - they can RIP it and simply not plot that plate. They probably want it there so they can either image it separately on something to check fit - or on some proof, otherwise, they would ask you to delete it.

using the spot color / overprint approach is far better than sending application files ( in my experience ! ) - hope this is helpful !

oh, I think the link below is interesting for "effect proofing" -

Creating Die Lines In Adobe Illustrator® ›› - arabgrada -

Inconsistencies as colours some times converting can often be traced to different colour settings.
It could happen even with PDF's. The trouble is knowing when SPOT colours are spot colours or eg die-lines, maybe we should wish for a special DIE-LINES and GUIDES swatch option in Adobe and PDF, this will of course be a problem with backwards compatibility, but say 30 years in the future we would be reaping benefits ;)

As far as a production stand point, I ALWAYS open the document with the version of CS its created in. I have seen way to many issues with type reflow, images dropping out and missing character in the PDFs on export. I have CS2-5 loaded and I have very few problems.

If you try to open a CS5 document is CS3 it let you know you can't open it and you need to upgrade your plug-ins.
If you are opening all your files in CS5 and they are CS4 or later InDesign indicates your file is [Converted] at the end of the file name at the top of your window.

What are the reasons for downloading other software to tell you what version of CS the document is created in?

Reason 42

Reason 42

What are the reasons for downloading other software to tell you what version of CS the document is created in?

Because I have an attachment, and on my iPhone, and want to speak to customer service as to what I think we need to do. Customer service may not have it and we need to know if we can open/process it, or ask customer to create a pdf for us.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back