Adobe CS3 - CS2 Leopard - JOY, Joy, joy....oh crap

Re: Adobe CS3 - CS2 Leopard - JOY, Joy, joy....oh crap

Yes and it worked for a few of them but there are 4 or 5 of them that still will not install. One for Bridge, one for Camera Raw, and 2 or 3 others I don't remember right now. Anymore when I log in I just cancel the update that tries to run but never goes anywhere.

As far as the latest Acrobat 8.1.2 update I got that same error on 2 different machines. One Intel Mac running Leopard and one G5 running Tiger. The Intel Mac actually reports that 8.1.2 is installed after the error where it says it could not install and subsequent checks for updates says it is up to date. The G5 still showed 8.1.1 after the update failed and I downloaded it and tried it again and it failed again but after I launched it after the 2nd fail it now says it is 8.1.2 and checking for updates says it is updated. Maybe it really is updated to 8.1.2. Maybe it's not. Who knows? The updater said it failed but they both now show that 8.1.2 is installed. It's a shame really. I remember when Adobe's software actually worked.

Sorry for not getting back to this thread, but did anybody mention logging in as root to install any app. I think a lot of these issues are permission. Should have mentioned this the other day but got busy.

I appreciate the info. However, do you really think that doing that would allow
me to get rid of Acrobat 8?
Let me ask this.
Under CS2 I could get rid of Acrobat 7 no problems.
Under CS3 I cannot UNINSTALL that d#mn program to save
my life.
Adobe is a multi billion dollar company. They cannot
devise an install program that will get rid of A8?
Hmm...hard to have the words leave my keyboard, but
it seems that Quark got that one figured out....
Here we go back to 1998 again.

> {quote:title=jbbbarr wrote:}{quote}
> Sorry for not getting back to this thread, but did anybody mention logging in as root to install any app. I think a lot of these issues are permission. Should have mentioned this the other day but got busy.

No, it is not recommended by Apple to enable the root user and that is a big security problem if that is what it would take. I have however, repaired permissions until I'm sick of it.

Acrobat for both mac and win come with fully functional uninstallers.
What the CS team does with our installation technology (which works
great by itself) is anyone's guess :(.

Leonard

You are probably right about the Apple response, but there have been apps, pitstop 7.x, recently that would not load as any other login no matter what the priveleges were and root was the only way. I do not leave it on, just when I have install issues, it has always worked.

I know this will not fix the acro8 gui, but maybe a 24" wide monitor giving you the ability to open all toolbars at once, and there are a few.

Try Pacifist to uninstall?? Maybe?

Ha, I forgot to come back to this thread. As far as the camera Raw updates. I just pulled out the old plug-in and replaced it with the download. I noticed on non-Intel macs that the updater did this for you (yes, I actually have to update everyone else's machine here because if I don't, it won't happen. We would still be using os 9, quark 4, PS 5, and acro 5 if I wasn't able to convince the publisher that our quality was suffering and that Apple was not going to support classic anymore :wow, that was a long caveat:).

I pity all you fools that keep using apples OS X. Built on top of Unix claiming its a revolution, Apple has sucked so many people in. Every time apple releases a new update to OS X, countless apps stop working, they even managed to change processor technology and make everyone pay again for there software.

Ive had macs for years and simply cant stand there crap anymore, a same spec windows XP machine would have needed little or no change to any software installed to keep it running after any windows updates. Another big myth, OSX is not faster than windows, its just simply not true. Another myth, macs dont crash, hahahaha, thats the biggest load of BS ive heard Ive been using XP for 3 years now and theres no way in hell I would go back to a hacked up Unix release. One last thing, the way OS X uses printers and printer drivers is pathetic compared to the windows equivalents.

We didn't get "sucked in" to Mac. Desktop Publishing started on Mac. Also, the problems we are having are due to the latest release from Adobe not Mac. I am on 10.4 and previous versions of Acrobat work fine. So I guess I don't see your point. Plus, Windows latest release isn't exactly bug free. Most PC users I know that switched to Vista have gone back to XP. I don't know a single person that went back to 10.4 from 10.5.
As far as speed, that has to do more with memory than it does your OS.
As far as the processor and having to buy all new Apps, ever heard of Rosetta?

We use all Macs here and the biggest issues we have are with the friggin PC server someone decided to put it here. Biggest mistake the company ever made as far as I am concerned. Some IT company fed them a bunch of lies because they didn't know how to set up Mac servers and wanted to take their money. The IT company that is used now is all PC, but has one Mac server and has told me they will never buy another PC server again.

Also, you can run almost every operating system on a mac and it is way more compatible with other OS's than Windows.

Bottom line is that I can fly around a Mac because I have been using them my whole life. I like it because I think it is intuitive and I think Apple is, in general, a good business. Microsoft has spent the last 5 years developing a giant coffee table computer. I mean, seriously, it is like they got together and said "hey, let's make something that is completely useless and the opposite of what users want and the portable direction that technology is moving." Just like they said "let's make sRGB the computer standard even though it sucks because we really just want to make things difficult for creative professionals." I could go on and on about this, but I think I have made my point.

So, Mr T., if your point is that you prefer a PC over a mac, then good, keep using it, but don't claim that Mac is inferior to Windows. I think we can all agree that it really just boils down to user preference what OS you use. I just think that Microsoft is a power wielding monster that doesn't care about their users.

> {quote:title=cosmo wrote:}{quote}
> I pity all you fools that keep using apples OS X. Built on top of Unix claiming its a revolution, Apple has sucked so many people in. Every time apple releases a new update to OS X, countless apps stop working, they even managed to change processor technology and make everyone pay again for there software.
>
> Ive had macs for years and simply cant stand there crap anymore, a same spec windows XP machine would have needed little or no change to any software installed to keep it running after any windows updates. Another big myth, OSX is not faster than windows, its just simply not true. Another myth, macs dont crash, hahahaha, thats the biggest load of BS ive heard Ive been using XP for 3 years now and theres no way in hell I would go back to a hacked up Unix release. One last thing, the way OS X uses printers and printer drivers is pathetic compared to the windows equivalents.

I give you...Microsoft Vista.

The defense rests your honor.

"I pity all you fools that keep using apples OS X. Built on top of Unix claiming its a revolution, Apple has sucked so many people in. Every time apple releases a new update to OS X, countless apps stop working, they even managed to change processor technology and make everyone pay again for there software.

Ive had macs for years and simply cant stand there crap anymore, a same spec windows XP machine would have needed little or no change to any software installed to keep it running after any windows updates. Another big myth, OSX is not faster than windows, its just simply not true. Another myth, macs dont crash, hahahaha, thats the biggest load of BS ive heard Ive been using XP for 3 years now and theres no way in hell I would go back to a hacked up Unix release. One last thing, the way OS X uses printers and printer drivers is pathetic compared to the windows equivalents"

lol Someone is very confused.

no matter what forum they pop up in, these mac vs pc "discussions" are +always+ so entertaining. :)

Haha...and what is he talking about with printers and print drivers. I don't see anything confusing about the way mac handles printers and printer drivers, especially a newer printer using bonjour. Drivers load automatically w/out any setup at all. We just picked up a new proof printer and all I had to do was plug it in and turn in on. Voila! The whole Network had access and the proper drivers installed themselves.
PC's have always had problems with postscript printers in my experience.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back