Advice Needed on buying new Printer

Joy_G

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to say hello! :)

My company prints mostly business cards, flyers, invoices, brochures, envelopes, menus, etc, we are currently printing on a very small digital printer. We decided invest on a much bigger digital printer as we are hoping to attract more customers. So I am looking for a affordable machine, which will have as lowest print cost as possible, with excellent print quality! :)We are between Konica Minolta c6000 and c7000 what do you think of the options? Which one you recommend?

Do they print 400 gsm paper, PVC cards?
I have heard that both machines have issues with printing envelopes is it true?
Which controller do you recommend?

I have found for Konica Minolta c6000 €23,000 (approx. $31,000) and c7000 for €29,000 (approx. $39,000) are the prices “reasonable” for new machines or you think I can find it cheaper? Do I sign a contract for click, also what is a reasonable price for a black and white and color print?

Is there a chance Konica will bring out a new model soon, so would it be sensible to wait for the new model?

Have you used Konica c6000 or c7000 are there any issues you would like to point out?

Thank you for all your help

Best
Joy

ps. Apologies for all the constant questions…

Joy,

You are a the beginning of the process. Everybody wants excellent quality for an inexpensive price, but these are not easy questions to answer. You will need to learn which factors are important, and which are pretending to be important. First of all, you say your company prints things...and you have a "smal" digital "printer" but hope to get a "big" digital printer. (this makes be laugh to myself) I would guess that folks here on the forum would like to know which "small" printer you are talking about, just to give us an idea of what level you are starting at. A C7000 is a good machine, (though I'm more of an HP Indigo guy) and the price seems good to me at first glance. (but you're in Greece, so who knows) make sure you consider how good the service is...like how long it takes for someone to come fix it. What you should be doing collecting research on the machines in your price range and comparing their costs, qualities and contracts. It takes time and patience, and you'll have to talk to multiple sales people. When you have specific question comparing you final choices, post it here. Otherwise you'll just start a fight. (smile)

good luck!

Hi Joy..Type of Printer is very important depending on the work you are doing. If you are looking into Laser or Inkjet Printers, you need to first make sure whether you want quality or low cost. Printing using a laser printer will be less but when you try to print images, you won't get the clarity that you expect. In fact, an Inkjet printer will give you a good quality image but at a higher cost. It is you who has to decide the brand according to the additional features that they may have and their respective cost.

High quality material and Printer always gives good work. If you use low cost printer is always gives bad quality products.

Yes Smith, that is true. It is important to check the quality of the printer before you buy it. The required quality surely depends on the work you would be performing. But, for prints related to the corporate world, it is preferable to buy something that would work well with the job you want to accomplish.

i dont think any konica machine will feed 400gsm, pvc or envelopes that i know of, the indigos will do pvc

Most of the digital printers will only print up to 300 gsm, and some only duplex up to 250 gsm. You're looking for something in the more expensive range on 400 gsm or PVC.

Look around some shops in your area. See what they've got and what they think about their machines. Look at the print quality. Info gleaned from actual users will help you when you're faced with salesmen who will tell you anything they think you want to hear.

If the local shops view you as potential competition and don't want to talk, tell them your partner wants to buy but you're looking for excuses not to. They'll spill all the faults of their machines.

I liked the suggestion Possumgal just gave. It sounds great!
That is the best way you can actually find out things about any product. Go and ask the ones who are using it regularly. They might have a better advice for you.

That machine is specified only to 300gsm, you have to go up to the c8000e for 350gsm. Some people will run heavier weights, but it's not supported. The prices you mention sound suspiciously cheap. Have you made sure that isn't the bare engine price? As a minimum you will need a heavy duty feed as you require that for registration accuracy, especially on coated or heavier weight stocks. Make sure that your selected finishing option includes a decurler, or you are really going to struggle. Dolly delivery is also nearly always required in a print shop / commercial print environment. The basic "commercial print" spec for Konica machines used to be called a "system 7" and really you need to price up on that type of spec, otherwise you are going to run into a very steep and very painful learning curve.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back