Affinity Publisher Beta is Released!

gordo

Finally! After three years of waiting Affinity Publisher Beta has been released. Once it passes beta status Affinity will have the complete graphics package for those wishing to leave Adobe. You can download the beta here:

https://tinyurl.com/ybp2yr54

You'll likely soon encounter customers using this app so it might be a good idea to begin playing with it now.

OK, I just tested it with VPN on set to the US (which I only use for testing purposes cough, cough).
The original link I posted works. So maybe the screw up is happening elsewhere.

That is weird. Your link takes me here:

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 1.35.32 PM.png

I posted a video on youtube of me clicking on the link to show that I post true: https://youtu.be/L3JlXz1Xu4A

:cool: I believe you but it still takes me to the "AVANGATE" page.

What is weird is if I select the text "https://tinyurl.com/ybp2yr54" and copy it and paste it into the browser address bar it takes me to the right place but if I click the link it takes me to the other one.

And it does it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on Mac OS Sierra. Latest versions of all browsers.

Well back to the original topic. Affinity Publisher...not a bad start for an early beta but needs a lot of work.

What work do you feel it needs?

the BIG one is no visible bleed guidelines. They also placed the bleed option elsewhere and do not have it when you create a new document. All this does is create more clicks to get a simple task done. When creating a new document you should be able to set all the basic page parameters there without needing to hit another box to add the bleed after setting up the new document.

Not sure if this one is there and I have not seen it but would love to have the option to change the colour of the page outside the document rather then a big dark area.

You can change to the light gray theme in the preferences.

Yes the bleed problem is the biggest flaw so far.

Also cropping images isn't the most intuitive way either. Nor is page scaling via the keyboard.

You can change to the light gray theme in the preferences.

Yes the bleed problem is the biggest flaw so far.

Also cropping images isn't the most intuitive way either. Nor is page scaling via the keyboard.

I do not find the cropping thing to be that big a deal, just need to get out of the Adobe mindset which can be hard when I have been using it for so many years. Would rather cropping an image work like Indesign, not sure when the last time I needed to stretch a picture out of scale.

had a play
1. getting bleed to come out in a pdf (Export) is also an extra step.
2. switching on page information (slug) when Exporting a pdf you end up with a bigger gap at the top of the pdf than the bottom, so the Trim box is off centre to the media box.
3. placed a spot colour pdf and Exported the spot colour ok but couldn't figure out to see the spot colour as a swatch for use in the app.
4. You can Open a pdf, ignore the Font warnings, and start editing. ( I forsee a lot of educating Designers why this is bad LOL)
5. you can Copy content from InDesign and Paste into Affinity Publisher, whole page or spreads at a time. I'm guessing the images get embedded into the afpub file?

Affinity are working on opening an InDesign format but it what would happen with missing functionality?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back