After the Holiday

gordo

709 After the Holiday.jpg

I didn't really have a choice. Before leaving for Holiday, you spent an entire 8-hour day on hold waiting for tech support. Then, yesterday, I find out that your client is running around town spreading rumors that we are a crafty printer.

For my own curiosity...in the USA, we say "going on vacation" instead of "going on holiday" if you take a week or two off work. We call our nationally recognized days of celebration such as Independence Day, Thanksgiving, etc a "holiday". So what do people from outside the USA call the nationally recognized days? And do you use the word "vacation" in any instances?

bank holiday
Public holiday in Australia
and the only times we use the word "vacation" is for its correct usage in the English language (as opposed to North American English)
1: A fixed holiday period between terms in universities and law courts
2: The action of leaving something one previously occupied. eg. "his marriage was the reason for the vacation of his fellowship"

Public holiday in Australia
and the only times we use the word "vacation" is for its correct usage in the English language (as opposed to North American English)
1: A fixed holiday period between terms in universities and law courts
2: The action of leaving something one previously occupied. eg. "his marriage was the reason for the vacation of his fellowship"
Interesting! Thanks for the explanations! In the instance of #1, we would simply call it a "break" such as "The school year has ended and the students are now on summer break"...we also have Spring Break to celebrate Easter, and Winter Break to celebrate Christmas and New Years. In regards to a break between court sessions, I've usually heard that referred to as a "recess".

As for #2, we would probably say it like this: "his marriage was the reason for vacating his fellowship" or in more common language: "his marriage was the reason for leaving the fellowship"

"Vacation" and "recess" are not common terminology in the UK.
"Bank Holidays" encompass New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, two Mondays in May, one in late August and Christmas
Scheduled time off work or school is generally referred to simply as "holiday"
In the public sector, particularly where shift work applies, scheduled time off may be referred to as "leave" instead of "holiday"
A "break" may be a long weekend away

So what do people from outside the USA call the nationally recognized days?
In France : jour férié
Can be civil days: January 1st, May 1st (Labour day), May 8th (end of WW II), July 14th (prise de la Bastille), November 11th (end of WW I),
or religious (catholic) days: Easter, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, Assumption Day, All Saints' Day and Christmas.

(or perhaps I didn't understand the correct meaning of "outside the USA" ???)

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back