agfa star 600 + accuset 1500 plus setup

No, I don't have PS interpreter and ethernet.
Those files were provided on floppies pack with every RIP.
I have only boot files from my PS Companion v 1.0 CD.
You have to add a few lines in the userboot file to configure IP address.
Look at posts ## 26 and 27 how to do that.

Hi all,

I have been working (at least) on configuring Accuset 1200 (internal Star 200 RIP) in Ubuntu.

Right now I am able to film using CUPS, PAP (modified), and a custom PPD file. I haven't developed the film, but filming is done without errors.

The AccuSet RIP is configured in Appletalk communications mode, and with the PPD file I am able to set up resolution, screening mode, etc but no lpi option.

I have some questions:

- How can I do a halftone? monochrome with right lpi parameter and rastering. Perhaps someone has a PPD file with the PS commands to configure the options.
- What is the right PPD file for this imagesetter? I have one modified by me, but perhaps something is wrong.

Also, I am looking for the original Accuset 1200 RIP software pack (an impossible quest...).

I will update soon with more results, I hope

If someone need help, don't hesitate, contact me!

If Halftone tiles/files for AS and ABS are not downloaded in RIP hard disk, you will not be able to change lpi value.
If they are in the RIP HD, you still have some limitations in combination Resolution/Linearity... if you know Agfa Balanced Screening and Adobe Screening you have to understand that.

If Halftone tiles/files for AS and ABS are not downloaded in RIP hard disk, you will not be able to change lpi value.
If they are in the RIP HD, you still have some limitations in combination Resolution/Linearity... if you know Agfa Balanced Screening and Adobe Screening you have to understand that.

Hi Vlad,

Thank you for your answers.

I have read the limitations about resolution / lpi in the different raster engines (AS, ABS, ...). Thank you anyway.

My problem is how to set all the configurations of the Accuset. I am trying to find Agfaset tool wothout success.

Also, the guy who sold me the Accuset told me that they upgraded the RIP to get more memory... if it is an Accuset 1200, does it mean that it could be upgraded to a Star RIP 400 or higher? how can I get info about the RIP specs? (model, memory, fonts, etc)

Do you know if it is possible to get a copy from Agfa or any official / unofficial site?

Thank you again

Last edited:
You put the life of the Accuset in like-Linux enviroment.
You will not find any support for that case.
AgfaSets work for Mac and Win.
Star RIP ugrade possible in full box exchange only nowadays :(

Vlad,

I am able to run Mac apps with ethernet support in linux also, in a free open source environment, with no legal matters. MAC OS 7 and 9 are free right now from Apple.

I could get it, and use AgfaSet on them.

Just get AgfaSet, that's my big problem....

Could you help me? I think that if it works, it could be a good option for the community!

Also, my question "does it mean that it could be upgraded to a Star RIP 400 or higher? how can I get info about the RIP specs? (model, memory, fonts, etc)" was bad written.

Also, what version of PS has the RIP? 1.0, 2.0, .... please, 2.0?

I should have said: the seller told me that they upgraded the original Star RIP of the Accuset 1200 to have more memory, does it means that the actual RIP is a 400 or higher RIP version?" Sorry about my english....

Last edited:
Also, my question "does it mean that it could be upgraded to a Star RIP 400 or higher? how can I get info about the RIP specs? (model, memory, fonts, etc)" was bad written.

Also, what version of PS has the RIP? 1.0, 2.0, .... please, 2.0?

I should have said: the seller told me that they upgraded the original Star RIP of the Accuset 1200 to have more memory, does it means that the actual RIP is a 400 or higher RIP version?" Sorry about my english....

Upgrade is impossible because RIPs Star200 and Star400/600 are single board RIPs or SBR.
Star 200 had less RAM, low bus and processor frequency than 400/600; boards are absolutely different. RAM chips soldered at board, lots of PAL chips were preprogrammed.
Even upgrade kit from 400 to 600 had many chips to be replaced at sockets.
If you send me a photo of your RIP Star200 board, I will tell you what PS Level your RIP has.
Increased HardDisk capacity will not help you too much because FIFO principle of data stack at Star RIPs.
I had AgfaSet 4.2 for Windows but not sure if I still has it in my archives.
That SW is not a shareware and is still under AGFA copyrights because it's still a part of the Apogee RIP at AGFA Apogee workflow

Last edited:
Hi Vlad,

Here you have the Accuset insides...

DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0155.JPG

What do you mean with FIFO? what's the functionality of the HDD, just memory to store jobs?

Also, AgfaSet 4.2 perhaps it's still underl copyrights, but 3.0......

Thank you Vlad

Last edited:
Photo #2 -RIP : I want to see stickers/labels at 8 small square chips groupped as 4X2. That's a PS interpreter written in the memory chips.
Unfortunately all labels are out of focus :(
But as I remember: if labels were pink or red color - PS L1, white - PS L2.
In case PS interpreter at HD damaged, RIP will use them to complete booting up.
And ByTheWay, what the model of SCSI HD? Just to understand the capacity of it.

Last edited:
Hi Vlad,

I can not take a clear picture of that part because is to dark and the chip labels are reflective.

The chips have white labels, with the following text:

PostScript v2013.108
1984-1193 Adobe Systems
209517-0001

and each chip has a character string to identify its possition (I guess): LL1, LL0, LMI, LMO, HMI, ...

is it enought to identify PS level?

Thank you Vlad!

Level 2.
Check any printer PPD with v2013.108 over google :)
FIFO - First In-First Out, that's one of principles to stack data in memory.

Last edited:
Thank you Vlad.

So my Accuset 1200 has a PS L2 RIP based, but which one? Star 200, 400 or XXX? I guess Star 200, but what was upgraded by the previous owner? just the drive?

I am using the attached PPD file. It seems correct, because it has the PS version in the list. Am I right?

The HD (see pic)

DSC_0153.JPG

seems to be one these Quantum Hard Drive Settings

but I don't know which one (size?).

OK, so I could use this PPD file selecting the right RIP Version (could you help me with this? choose between 200, 400, ...).

Another question, should I send all the jobs as PS L2? I suposse so.

So the HD is just RIP memory for... fonts, PS interpreter files and so. How can I check HD contents?

I know on FIFO, FILO and that staff! I am a programmer!

Thank you in advance and regards

Level 2.
Check any printer PPD with v2013.108 over google :)
FIFO - First In-First Out, that's one of principles to stack data in memory.

Attachments

• AccuSet_OSX_Illustrator.txt
    43.4 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Dear forum members,

I have right now the Accuset running smooth in Linux (CUPS, PAP, compatible PPD file), and I can set it up using AgfaSet 4.2 (AGFA send me a copy of it) for MAC systems in SheepShaver (MAC emulator), running MAC OS 9.

Also I installed MC Color Calibrator (MAC 1994 version) and I am going to calibrate the imagesetter.

If you need help to set up a similar configuration, contact me. I will try to help you.

Thank you all, specially Vlad.

Is it possible to get RIP files from the Accuset? I mean, with AgfaSet I can download files to the RIP, but: what about "uploading"?

I would like to do a complete RIP software backup...

Also, what's the HDD filesystem? if the disk fails, is it possible to replace it?

Thank you!

Do you think you can find 2Gig SCSI HD today?
Star RIP uses it's own filesystem and low level format could be processed at PC, but high level was some specific. I've never tried to format 10G and higher HDs for RIPs :(
That's impossible to upload all info from that RIP HD, one way trip.

Last edited:
I think so, a SSD drive has SCSI interface with an adapter for old accuset IDE connectors, it could work perfectly...... and not too expensive.

The problems:
- File system format.
- I don't have the original RIP software. Just the staff installed onf the RIP.

What's the Accuset RIP file system?
Is it possible to upload the files in the RIP HDD? and backup them?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back