Alcohol Percentage for offset printer

For example, I've:
Hdm CD 102-4 whitout ink temperature control - so IPA is set to 9% whit stardard fount solution;
Hdm CD 102-5 whit ink temperature control - IPA 4% whit special IPA reduction foutn solution.
in my opinion depend to the machine and the kind of job you print, if you print Pantone 877 you meed alcool.

If your on a heidelberg and you are running a metallic, why would you just not back off your z roller? Thats what its there for!

In my opinion IPA supplier must give you 100% IPA, I've seen in many cases counterfeiting about IPA purity.

Hint: The specific gravity of 100% IPA is 7.86, give or take a bit. If the gravity of your alcohol is higher than 7.9. it has water added to it. The higher the gravity, the more water it contains. It is shocking how much adulterated alcohol is sold to printers, I have seen 70% IPA/water mixtures sold as pure. Whenever you get a bargain on alcohol, this is the likely reason.

Hint: The specific gravity of 100% IPA is 7.86, give or take a bit. If the gravity of your alcohol is higher than 7.9. it has water added to it. The higher the gravity, the more water it contains. It is shocking how much adulterated alcohol is sold to printers, I have seen 70% IPA/water mixtures sold as pure. Whenever you get a bargain on alcohol, this is the likely reason.

This dont shock me, but GREAT POINT! This is something I have never thought of and should HAVE! GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This should be a Warning to all! thanks Dan Great point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why use a a alcohol substitute or a fountain solution with alcohol substitutes in it or IPA when it is not needed???? You would be well aware there is a company in the US that has developed a fountain solution years and years ago, that contain none of these, and pose zero health issues to the end user..

We are now entering our 20th year of using Genesis fountain solution. It has none of the chemicals that kodak and all the other plate companies are concerned about.

The industry has frowned on these type of products because they hurt sales of all other products like plate cleaners, special washes, special inks, blanket conditioners and hardeners, chrome cleaner, meter roller cleaners, ink additives, ro water systems, distilled water, special fountain solution filters and cleaning systems, constantly checking conductivity and so on and so forth.
The truth about it is that all you need is fountain solution, tap water(that is poly phosphate free or under 10 parts/million),ink, press wash, roller lube that can also be used as an anti skin and an ink additive, calcium rinse and additive. Five products for just about everything required in the pressroom. You might want a quart of plate cleaner incase you must delete or hone an image off the plate. A quart bottle of plate cleaner last us about 4 years.
This is very discouraging reading see all to the problems that occur when it is so simple to fix.

We only use alcohol substitute because I work for the state and they banned use from useing it. Works great with our Ryobi 524 4 color.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back