Epson Proof Resolution Setting

Curious Printer

We currently run on our offset presses 20-micron stochastic which is equivalent to about 385 line screen. We would like for our Epson proofs to better replicate the fine detail and sharpness that we get on the press sheets. Looking for suggestions for the Epson resolution setting that would best match this higher resolution offset print.

You don't include the Model# of Epson in your post.
If you are using a new-ish SureColor then your actual max dpi is 2400x1200 - I believe.
We make plates at 2400x2400 Traditional Screen and it only approximates the press resolution.
We notice this lower resolution mostly in the highlights below 5%.
According to our GATF tech that is the max resolution on this print head.
The issue you will have is that the Epson uses stochastic to print - at roughly 175 dpi.
I don't believe you will be able to increase the resolution.
YMMV

You don't include the Model# of Epson in your post.
If you are using a new-ish SureColor then your actual max dpi is 2400x1200 - I believe.
We make plates at 2400x2400 Traditional Screen and it only approximates the press resolution.

For a bit of clarity… the 2400x1200 dpi you quoted for the Epson is not the resolution - it is the addressability of the device. Different printers with the same quoted dpi can have different resolutions.

The models are the Epson 10,000 and 20,000 series.
What would be the best way to set up these proofing devices to best represent the sharp details we are seeing on our press sheets running these higher line-screens?

I'm not sure that there is an adequate solution for what you are seeking.

Most, if not all, of today's inkjets are POD (Print on Demand). The nozzles only fire when the ink needs to go to the sheet.
So you have the initial velocity of the ink which causes the micro-splatters.

Back in the late 90's Scitex had a printer, Iris Realist 3047, that was different. The system uses continuous flow. If no ink was required on a certain areas the ink would be electrically charged and be drawn behind the "knife" and into a waste container.
If ink was needed, there was no electrical charge and the stream went to the sheet.

The quality was outstanding.

Last edited:
The models are the Epson 10,000 and 20,000 series.
What would be the best way to set up these proofing devices to best represent the sharp details we are seeing on our press sheets running these higher line-screens?
I believe I mentioned that the Epson uses a stochastic dot pattern, just like your press plates!
The Epson 10000 evidently has three dot sizes - but the spec sheet noticeably leaves out the SIZES of the dots :) and the 'dpi resolution' is 12XX x 7XX.
So the dot 'size' is essentially static and only the frequency is altered to produce the amount of desired ink.
I am not sure you can accomplish 'higher line screens' on these devices.
So get some calibration software + scanning device then calibrate your press and your epson.
Done. The best possible within the limitations of the devices.
The Epson will never be better than it is.
YMMV

Appreciate all the input...

I am not referring to a color matching issue though. Matching color is not a issue, color looks great. Our press and Epson are calibrated very tight as far as color.

What appears to be very, very faint file imperfections/banding lines in the Epson, will print much sharper and more prominent on the press sheet when printing the higher ls. What might not be seen in the file at 100% on screen but can be seen in the file if you enlarge the file many times on screen will show up more prominent on the press sheet. When printing standard G7 work at 175 ls the print looks like the proof in sharpness. Print at the higher line screen all the file imperfections show up in the printed sheet. Would like to be able to see this in the Epson proof as prominent as it is on press so it can identified before it goes on press.

I am not referring to a color matching issue though. Matching color is not a issue, color looks great. Our press and Epson are calibrated very tight as far as color.

What appears to be very, very faint file imperfections/banding lines in the Epson, will print much sharper and more prominent on the press sheet when printing the higher ls. What might not be seen in the file at 100% on screen but can be seen in the file if you enlarge the file many times on screen will show up more prominent on the press sheet. When printing standard G7 work at 175 ls the print looks like the proof in sharpness. Print at the higher line screen all the file imperfections show up in the printed sheet. Would like to be able to see this in the Epson proof as prominent as it is on press so it can identified before it goes on press.
That sounds like a "scum" dot. Today's plates will consistently hold a dot <1%. You will NEVER see this on a continuous tone proofer. I've experienced this where a 0.7% gained to 3% on the press sheet.

Not possible with the technology you are using.

Kodak Spectrum was awesome but crazy expensive because you'd have to stop making the plates to proof. Wonder if there are any still out there.

You could try outputting the Epsons at 200% or 400% size and see if that shows your problems.

The resolution of platesetters is real. The resolution of ink jets is marketing. ;)

Which proofing software do you use?

We are using GMG ColorProof alongside Epson SC-P5000 devices. The default GMG "media standards" cap the printing resolution at 720x1440 dpi. However, by configuring your custom print standard through the Epson Driver, you can enhance this to 2880x1440 dpi and unidirectional printing. I believe that this quality rivals that of offset print using 20µ FM screening.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back