Any Genesis DPX users out there? Need your input

discountprinting

We recently purchased a used Purup Eskofot Genesis DPX platesetter with a RipMate 4.2 front end. I have never used one of these until now, however I remember when they first came out and Mitsubishi promoted these as capable of process color and demoed them at the trade shows.

So my question is who is using this machine and are you happy with it?
Are you using it for process color?

The imagesetter resolution is 2400 max, but the local tech tells me to use 1800 dpi and run 133 lpi (127 actual).

The rip is very robust and has Harlequin Precision Screening capabilities, plus linearization tools. I am happy with the machine for 1 & 2 color work, but I want to do process color with it and preferably 150 or 175 line screen. The platesetter's spot size according to the specs is 35um. We run 8mil and it registers very well. I also thought about FM screening as opposed to AM. My goal is to run better than pleasing color work with it combined with my Toko R2 portrait 2 color press.

I made some 4/c plates of a job and the highlight dots (1% to about 8 or 9%) in a background image were not there at 133 lpi 1800 dpi. Don't know whether I should have a tech come out and calibrate the machine or not.

Any thoughts?

I used a Mitsubishi one with a newer RIP and it worked well. You could do process color with it but I would be wary of tight registration jobs. We used ours for an old beat up web press running 120lpi. It worked very well for that

We had been pushing Poly 5 mil material through a small imagesetter, no RIP, and came upon the same machine used, full gaurantee, well installed. I really trust the company that brought it in and set it up.
I sent it back after 30 days.
I run plenty of 150 dpi process on a 3302...
YMMV

On the Genesis, you need to have exposure dead on, and also do Calibration through the RIP. It could esily need to have the spinner and mirrors cleaned, or the laser focus adjusted.
Thanks Lee

send image to dpx

send image to dpx

What kind of software do you use to print to the DPX genesis? I have one and I was told I have to have it connected to a windows 98 machine if I want to work. Is this right?

The early models used a JAWS or Harlequin rip that had to run on Windows 98. The newer rips ran on XP Pro. The last I knew the rips stopped at Harlequin version 7.X.

Hi, could You help with RipMate Genesis driver? My friends lost it somewhere. Ripmate driver for Genesis is needed.
---------------
Purup Genesis 1999 г. в.
RIP- Rip mate 7.0
Genesis PCI Board ?072-929-000 Ver 1.0 12/12/2003
Chipset
Philips SAA 7146 H
SF0977.00
ktD0133V3
PCIVEN_1131&DEV_7146&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\4&3721BFB3&0&20F
-----------------
Please send it to my mail [email protected]
Thanks in advance

We recently purchased a used Purup Eskofot Genesis DPX platesetter with a RipMate 4.2 front end. I have never used one of these until now, however I remember when they first came out and Mitsubishi promoted these as capable of process color and demoed them at the trade shows.

So my question is who is using this machine and are you happy with it?
Are you using it for process color?

The imagesetter resolution is 2400 max, but the local tech tells me to use 1800 dpi and run 133 lpi (127 actual).

The rip is very robust and has Harlequin Precision Screening capabilities, plus linearization tools. I am happy with the machine for 1 & 2 color work, but I want to do process color with it and preferably 150 or 175 line screen. The platesetter's spot size according to the specs is 35um. We run 8mil and it registers very well. I also thought about FM screening as opposed to AM. My goal is to run better than pleasing color work with it combined with my Toko R2 portrait 2 color press.

I made some 4/c plates of a job and the highlight dots (1% to about 8 or 9%) in a background image were not there at 133 lpi 1800 dpi. Don't know whether I should have a tech come out and calibrate the machine or not.

Any thoughts?

The DPX is a very good platesetter and does have the ability to reproduce an accurate dots and registered plates (+/- .001 I believe). However, it sounds like you need to linearize to achieve those results. Also, your RIP is quite out-dated. Have you looked into updating the RIP to the current version?
I know it can be costly but I also know of an alternate solution that is fairly inexpensive compared to the manufacturers upgrade costs. In fact I am in the middle of doing that very same thing for a DPX user this week.
Write me offline and I'll provide more detail.

Have a great day!
Kim Sakowski

KJSAKS Enterprises, Inc
ph... 702-561-5936
e-mail... [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back