Any Idea how this is printed

Seeking Knowledge

Hello all,

Recently I picked up a Golf ball and noticed that it was Digitally printed. I am stumped at how this is possible. As many of you know Golf balls have several properties that make this process very challenging. First they are round, secondly the dimples and third since they are round I would think you would notice the start and stop of the print. How in the devil is this done? I know many golf ball logos are pad printed but these balls have a noticeable stochastic pattern, which make me think digital. Looking at the ball with a loupe the copy where it says "Tour Response" does not go in and out of register as it hits the peak and valley of the dimples as I would expect. I am thinking there must be a printhead that has a some curvature to it. Photos do not do it justice.

Or it is just Magic.

Anyones input would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to do it, I would just like to know how it is done.

Thanks in advance,
SK

IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg

Magnus,

Thanks for the feedback but that cannot be the device that printed the Golf ball in the photo. The site your provided clearly states that the machine is a flat bed printer. That would not work for this application.

Someone will clue us in.

Take care,
SK

Last edited:
Magnus,

Thanks for the feedback but that cannot be the device that printed the Golf ball in the photo. The site your provided clearly states that the machine is a flat be printer. That would not work for this application.

Someone wil clue us in.

Take care,
SK

Clearly you didn't bother to read the description properly.

I have actually printed on golf balls in the past. The company LogoJet makes devices that are designed for printing on 3D substrates.
I have used these in the past, albeit was several generations older than this. At the time the print engine used was an EPSON.

Maybe used this -

pippip,

This may be the device. I am still trying to wrap my head around how they can calibrate a device to print so well on a convex surface along with the peaks and valleys of the dimples and the registration does not really suffer.

Thanks
SK

The part on the page where they explain how it's used specifically for golf ball printing and has a jig for it
bcr,

Thank you, I did see that. It looks like this printer would be good for printing logos. The pictures I included, while they may not have shown it clearly, the printing goes all the way around the circumference of the ball, that is what confuses me. I think Pippip is on the right path as that device allows one to print the entire circumference of the ball. Still how they calibrate the printing seems like it would be a challenge.

Have a good one,
SK

pippip,

This may be the device. I am still trying to wrap my head around how they can calibrate a device to print so well on a convex surface along with the peaks and valleys of the dimples and the registration does not really suffer.

Thanks
SK
Well. It probably does suffer. Just not a lot.. in the pic you sent it's clear there's a lot of splash in the dimples. It's Ink Jet. but not one that sits 0.15mm high. It's more like 1mm or 1.5 mm or more off the subject surface. Depending on the surface being addressed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back