Any tips for repairing a rubber roller on an UV coater?

J_DVRS

I recently ran into a problem with my rubber roller where the coating cured onto it. I tried everything to get it off, and had to resort to using a razor to remove the cured gloss. I was extremely careful but I slightly nicked a few spots on the roller, so now when I run sheets through I have a few tiny little dots appearing. I was thinking of adhering some rubber tape around the roller, but I am not sure if the coatings will soak up in it and become more of a disaster. I was also debating about putting some kind of rubber adhesive over the spots but I think that would give me the same results as I am having. I Really don't want to buy a new roller, but I am thinking that's my only option. Any ideas on how I could fix or flatten those spots on the roller?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

I was told by a colleague that he "fixed" a rubber roller on his Lotem 800 CTP by using a suitably sized heat-shrink sleeve.
Probably only a temporary solution but it may work for other quick fixes.
YMMV

I recently ran into a problem with my rubber roller where the coating cured onto it. I tried everything to get it off, and had to resort to using a razor to remove the cured gloss. I was extremely careful but I slightly nicked a few spots on the roller, so now when I run sheets through I have a few tiny little dots appearing. I was thinking of adhering some rubber tape around the roller, but I am not sure if the coatings will soak up in it and become more of a disaster. I was also debating about putting some kind of rubber adhesive over the spots but I think that would give me the same results as I am having. I Really don't want to buy a new roller, but I am thinking that's my only option. Any ideas on how I could fix or flatten those spots on the roller?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
""Send it to a company that recovers printing press rollers. ""
Those places (that recover rollers) should be able to "shave" it also.. for minor issues. Cheaper and faster than a full re-do.

Send it to a company that recovers printing press rollers. They will know what type of rubber you require for UV products. If you know what durometer you want that would be helpful information also
I've got a 15" wide offline TEC UV coater. I keep a spare rubber roller on hand and send the used up one out for recoating to a place in Maryland. Cost is about $375. Maybe this helps you decide what route to take.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back