Anyone transitioned from prepress to web design

photoshopdude

I've been in prepress over 20 years. My specialty is Photoshop, however I do all the prepress duities also, from file prep to platmaking. Would like to transition out of printing and go into web design/flash animation. Was wondering if anyone had made that transition and what skills carried over. Just curious.

That was something that I had in mind as well. I've been doing Prepress for 15 years or so and really want a change. I really like the web elements and I already know quite a bit of HTML from back in the day that still carries over (fundamentals always do). However I think even the Web is too close to printing for my tastes. I really want OUT of printing. I swear it gets worse every year, people get dumber and more demanding while still being picky about color with a Power Point provided file. *SIGH*

I've been looking more into 3D work and training. If I'm going to be in front of a computer all day I would rather be helping create something with a team of artists instead of this inglorious position. Video game and animation companies have texture artists and a lot of them have dedicated ones, maybe that's something else you can look into?

The second you start learning flash you can branch out even further and look into User Interface Design. The good thing about prepress is that you really get an overall knowledge of a lot of software packages and they all at some point can help out in other fields (especially Illustrator and Photoshop).

Photoshop Dude,

If you can understand the programming aspect of the web development, especially Actionscript in Flash, you'll be fine. You already have a good basis knowing what you do.
I don't understand the newer versions of Actionscript and probably should get some classes on it, but the rest is pretty basic.

I feel the same way about getting out of printing, wish I'd done it years ago. The stress and aggravation are not worth it. Hopefully I can apply my skills to something else.

I'm trying to get out as well. Print is a shrinking industry where as internet is a growing one. So I've been taking a web fundamental course. The basic HTML is easy. As for how it relates to prepress. Well you will have the edge in manipulating photoshop images and creating CSS style sheets. But I think prepress is more technical then creative, where as I believe designing a web site is still more of a creative process, because HTML is pretty easy to code. I guess you can look at web site creation to be similar to graphic design/prepress, designs build the creative layout and prepress makes the code work behind the scenes.

Just what I have noticed so far, everyone's talents are different.

Good luck!

i think web design is more toward the creative individual, i can't speak for the others but i would love to switch myself if i have that creative mind, maybe this is why i end up in prepress for the last 10 years fixing other people's electronic files.

I see the biggest hurdle is not the skills, but the degree.
It seems like in pre-press experience goes a long way since there is very little schooling available. In web design, there's a lot of school out there. The school will definitely help.
Even with all of the experience I have in the industry and having a decent portfolio and wide range of things, not having a piece of paper kills me.
Just a thought for you old dogs like me.

I think it's important not to discount the knowledge you have acquired through the years in regards to the printing process, the software and systems.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out of the daily production aspects of printing, still be involved in the industry (which I love!) but gain new skills in a growing medium (web).

What specific skills did I learn in prepress that help with web design..not much. Some Photoshop and illustrator, even those have such different requirements not many skills cross from print design to web design. What has been a huge benefit is being able to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple projects and be flexible. All things I learned in prepress.

There are lots of small business that will have a need for a single person that can manage some print design, web work and social media. If you can get a good broad understanding of those 3, I think you could find a position outside of a prepress job.

Most web designers I have met don't know print. So I would take a stance that your print knowledge can put you at a huge advantage over some guy that just knows web design.

My opinion on flash: while it's good to know, look at how many sites today use flash compared to 5 years ago..almost none! It sucks for SEO, expensive to design, expensive to maintain and has limited mobile capabilities. I would put more focus on basic HTML, CSS and scripting.

Good Luck!

Thanks

Thanks

for the replies, some good insights and opinions. I see a common theme, prepress skills don't seem to carry over to web much. A bit discourging. May have to rethink that idea and look into something else. :)

You can transition into the sanitation worker field.
You're used to dealing with garbage files that people send you...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back