Apogee x and proofing question

JFB

Hi,
We have installed a couple of month ago a Palladio ctp and with it the Apogee x workflow, till now we are only outputing low res proofs for impositioning, we want to run a second proofer exclusively for high resolution proofs, my supplier says we need a second profing liscence for the Apogee.
Anybody has any experience with that?
JFB

It's been a couple of years since I've used Apogee X but, I remember having a couple of different options for output devices. I don't remember needing to output low res pdf's for imposing. That was something that it did already so you should be able to set up your high res proof device without getting another "engine" or whatever they call it. (I can't remember)

A crude method would be to put an A-B box on the two devices and switch back and forth between them. This could be a problem it you have several operators using it at the same time but you could work it out.

Like I said, it's been a while but I hope this helps you.

By the way, where are you located? I have a friend that works for AGFA and maybe I can get some info from him.

Thanks for the reply..
I thought about using an A-B box, will look into it further.
The problem is that my operator should give me a clear answer and help me make that decision but I am afraid he does not know the system enough to do so....
Thanks again
JFB

Apogee Proofing

Apogee Proofing

Not sure what version of X you are using we are on V4 and it is pretty simple.

You should have a PDF Proofer Task Processor in the output section of your system overview. Click once on this and then double click parameter sets. Setup a new parameter set with with the quality settings and output path your hi-res proofer is on.

Setup a flow with all the task processors you want which must include a renderer with the same settings as your normal plate flow , trapping etc otherwise the proof will not be representative of what you get on plate. You also need to setup a Outpress task processor with the parameters of your proofer, page size etc and add this at the end of the flow.

Setup your input hotfolderdrop in your file and that's it.

If however you don't currently have the PDF Proofer module that may be what your vendor is referring too. I currently proof lo-res to a xerox and hi-res to an Epson from the same single PDF proofer TP.

If this helps and you want to know more give me a shout.

I think you'll come out miles ahead to export PDF or TIFF to a 3rd-party proofing RIP (EFI, GMG, CGS, Colorburst).

Lee,
We are running version 5 of ApogeeX, my problem is that I am not an operator and my operator has not much experience with this kind of software. I have a flow set up for high res profing, also for low res, but my problem is that they both end up on the same proofer, I want to use seperate machines as you are doing... my supplier is trying to sell me a second PDF proofer liscence fro that, I think it is not logical. can you explain how you do it keeping in mind we are not Apogee experts... :) thx.

Rich,
are you saying that it is not possible?

If you need to print to both devices at the same time, I think you'll probably need the license. If not, you could switch the address of the device in Apogee back and forth if they're the same model. If they're not the same model, it may work but probably not. I think that you can have more devices than you are licensed for installed, but can only have as many turned on at a time as you have licenses for. An Agfa service tech would probably have to install a new device, but they could probably do it remotely, which would still cost you some money.

We print our proofs through an Agfa Printdrive server, which thankfully doesn't give a crap about how many devices we have.

Thanks again, I am going to try a couple of things, and will post the results, but I have a feeling that I will end up paying for a second liscence.... :)
JFB

Lee,
We are running version 5 of ApogeeX, my problem is that I am not an operator and my operator has not much experience with this kind of software. I have a flow set up for high res profing, also for low res, but my problem is that they both end up on the same proofer, I want to use seperate machines as you are doing... my supplier is trying to sell me a second PDF proofer liscence fro that, I think it is not logical. can you explain how you do it keeping in mind we are not Apogee experts... :) thx.

Rich,
are you saying that it is not possible?

Not really sure what's possible. Every time I think I have a handle on things, I get different information. If you use Apogee to drive your proofer, you can never perform an adequate calibration, unless you've shelled out for ColorTune.

The ink-limiting tables, what they refer to ink-split tables, are based on some proofer/paper combination somewhere and are locked down, unless you care to interpret and edit them in a text editor. Apogee won't allow you to create ink limits based on your proofer/ink/paper/and environment, unless you purchase ColorTune. Agfa's aim is to sell you proofing paper.

You probably all ready have the ability to export a PDF. Just export PDFs from Apogee to a third-party RIP and then you'll have full control of your proofing workflow.

Thanks all,
I just got a deal on the second liscence and as I rely on these guys for the calibration and profiling I think it is better for me to go for it rather than find another alternative where there will be no one to rely on.
Thanks again for all the support.
JFB

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back