Apogee X trapping white thin line over raster image

poplar541

Hi folks,

Not so sure if this is the right forum. Maybe I can hear from other workflow users as well - I need to apply trapping to a job with several dark-near-black images and thin white lines of tech drawings over them - Normally my apogeex 3.5 would enlarge lines on the c, m, y and leave black sep untouched. But I discovered this only works between vector and vector, e.g. a rich black vector square (pct 60,60,60,100) with thin white vector lines.
This is a 24-up job on thin paper, unable to get to registration without some trapping. Cant understand if this is a 3.5 limit or maybe I'm wrong with some settings.

Any help will be appreciated, and wish to thank everybody in advance

-- Poplar --

Sounds like a design not intended for the real world. The in rip trapping can be activated to behave the same for vector and pixel. If you are using inDesign you can add create a manual "trap" by adding an "outer glow" with CMYK 0/0/0/100 (or drop shadow with 0/0 offset and lighten blend mode) this will remove all except the black near the hairline. (other blendmodes like "Normal" would also act as a "sharpening" if used with care).

Sounds like a design not intended for the real world.

Thankyou Lukas - Indeed, trying to drill this into the designer's head - Apart from this, Yes, this would be a last resort solution - Bad news is my document is 288 pages span - so I was trying to figure out something just by tweaking my in-rip trapping parameters, to no avail so far... If I cant find a soultion Ill go for the manual edit :-(((

-- Poplar --

Not sure about that particular version of Apogee, but is there a setting somewhere to consider the true image values? Often a setting like this is off by default because it takes much longer to run.

There is a setting to trap within images. You might try activating that.

Do these situations occur on every page? I wonder if adding a .5% CMY to the lines would do anything. That change would be easy enough to effect on the entire document with PitStop. The scum dot wouldn't show (much) on the final output.

I know you're trying to avoid it, but it shouldn't be too tough to script Illustrator to either:

1) convert the white strokes to outlines and add a black stroke
or
2) select all white lines, copy, paste behind, increase the stroke width by .5 pt and change the color to black.

Yes there is a setting if you have inRIP trapping where you can set trap vector-image, image-image and within image. It will slow the RIP down, but if you have redundant time some part of the night you can queue the job to RIP then. I've done that on jobs with large runs on flimsy stock to make the job produceable. (a digital press will be worse than an offset, print it on a laser and you'll see) Unfortunately I don't have an Apogee system to be able to do screen dumps. This is an ancient IRT dialogue box but it should be much more advanced.

Attachments

• Apogee IRT1.jpg
    Apogee IRT1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Solved

Solved

Yes there is a setting if you have inRIP trapping where you can set trap vector-image, image-image and within image. It will slow the RIP down...

Yep - Solved this way - Had to tweak a bit with the IRT settings, expecially black threshold ("soglia" if youre confy with a bit of italian)

Im linking my screenshot, just to take a look at it or replicate trap structure in a different workflow (sorry, unable to attach a file with this old browser)

ftp://camelot:[email protected]/Impost_Trap.png

-- Poplar --

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back