Apple CMY display design could be boon for print production

tiger_scout

An interesting article:

Apple CMY display design could be boon for print production

Graphic designers and photographers know the pain of translating RGB image information on screen into CMYK print on paper. Even with the best understanding of the alchemy of color management, RGB displays and CMYK printing processes simply cannot recreate the same hues and intensities of every color. Apple has filed for a patent on an idea to help those whose bread and butter still involves printing: make the display CMYK.

Most displays use the additive red-green-blue color model, which attempts to mimic how our eyes interpret color. By mixing various intensities of red, green, and blue light in each pixel location, displays can reproduce some 16.7 million combinations of hue and intensity. Even the best displays, however, can only reproduce a limited subset of the colors most humans can perceive.

Printing processes, on the other hand, use a subtractive cyan-magenta-yellow color model. By increasing the amount of cyan, magenta, or yellow pigments or dyes, wavelengths are gradually subtracted from white light to produce a range of colors. Photographic prints use CMY dyes, whereas many inkjets and most commercial printing processes add black ink ('B' already stands for blue, so 'K' stands for black, hence CMYK) to reduce the amount of ink needed to make black. This also accommodates for the fact that most CMY inks alone can't make a very deep, rich black.

Due to the differences between transmissive light and reflected light, as well as the fact that inks don't necessarily match the theoretical cyan, magenta, and yellow colors needed to reproduce a wide range of colors, CMYK processes generally reproduce a much smaller subset of the colors of a typical RGB display. Color management attempts to mitigate this discrepancy, but it is far from perfect. Inkjet manufacturers and printing ink manufacturers have attempted to expand the gamut of possible colors by adding additional colors to the mix.

However, Apple's senior scientist Gabriel Marcu and director of display engineering Wei Chen considered a different solution. They propose building a display that uses CMY subtractive filters to generate colors instead of RGB subpixels. Apple filed a patent application for their invention, "Subtractive Display," in September 2009, which was published by the USPTO late last week.

If the filters are formulated correctly, the display could more closely match the color gamut of traditional printing processes, making it easier for designers and photographers to better visualize the final product onscreen. Such a display would have limited applications, since print production is generally on the decline as more media is consumed on computers, HDTVs, and mobile devices like the iPad or smartphones. But for those that depend on reliable, accurate print output, such a display could be indispensable.

well, seems they didn't understand colour management? A filter for Mageta is green, a filter for yellow is blue, a filter for cyan is red. If that was ther idea then you'd need a RGBW. A CMYK display could not display more colours than an RGB display, possibly if you had a RGBY monitor you would get a better gamut since the yellow is a very narrow area on most RGB colour spaces, But we would also need to change, fundimentally how graphics programs work, and if there was a way to make a larger colour space there would need to be a consistent way to reduce to output that does not have that capacity.
I have a Quato monitor and have 100% of ISO coated gamut on my monitor, actually more than 100% since the monitor can display colours that cannot print (in CMYK).
Since our eyes see transmitted light there is no net difference to our eyes between transmitted and reflected light. But sure let them try I could be wrong.

Yeah, it would be nice if they just added PDF/X-4 to OS X and forego the adventure into smaller-gamut-than-they-already-produce color monitors. And this comes from a prepress person since '95, graphic arts since '92, artist since '78. I already match the Certified proof of GRAoL 7, a specification of the international standard ISO 12647-2 - at 5300K, Gamma 2.2 , luminance of I think 120, on an Apple Cinema Display 30", using Adobe apps for soft-proofing. And I honestly can't see how you could get closer. But like Lukas said, let them try. Lord knows they got the money to try some cool stuff, as we've seen (dang I wish I would not have sold AAPL - coulda made a nice 5K easy - actually much more if I purchased more at the bottom and didn't hold for 2 years for a small gain and no losses). If you like stocks, APPL's one of the best. I don't really trade stocks anymore though.

Regards,

Don

well, seems they didn't understand colour management? A filter for Mageta is green, a filter for yellow is blue, a filter for cyan is red. If that was ther idea then you'd need a RGBW. A CMYK display could not display more colours than an RGB display, possibly if you had a RGBY monitor you would get a better gamut since the yellow is a very narrow area on most RGB colour spaces, But we would also need to change, fundimentally how graphics programs work, and if there was a way to make a larger colour space there would need to be a consistent way to reduce to output that does not have that capacity.
I have a Quato monitor and have 100% of ISO coated gamut on my monitor, actually more than 100% since the monitor can display colours that cannot print (in CMYK).
Since our eyes see transmitted light there is no net difference to our eyes between transmitted and reflected light. But sure let them try I could be wrong.

I wouldn't get too excited. Even if it was put into production it would take years to work out all the kinks to get things as reliable as a current LCD. At this point I don't think it would be that cost effective when compared to traditional wider gamut LCDs.

Apple has a very active R&D department and they file for patents like this all the time, even when they don't see an immediate commercial application. All the big companies have a stable of software and hardware patents that they keep on hand to either fight back when sued (see Apple vs Kodak) or that they use to discourage competition (see Apple vs HTC).

Too bad, from a prepress standpoint it would be nice, but considering some of Apple's moves lately (like Glossy displays) I don't see them pursuing the prepress market.

Shawn

I think this would be really interesting to see, but I agree that the prepress market is likely way too small for this to become a real product.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back