Artpro vs PackEdge

MISP

Question for those who have experience working with Artpro en Esko packedge.
If you had to make choice today whether you purchase Artpro or Packedge from Esko, what would be the best choice and why?

In my opinion, go for Artpro. Now Esko and aws are one, I bet that either Artpro or Packedge will stop being developped and that they will make a crossplatform version with the good parts of each software. As I recall hearing that there are more Artpro installations out there, I'd put my money on Artpro.

I've used both and do prefer Artpro, but maybe that has something to do with my Mac preference. I'm still convinced that working with graphical files, you're best off with a mac. So Artpro is a the best choice in combination with photoshop/illustrator/indesign.

Packedge

Packedge

We only have PackEdge so can't compare with Artpro. I will say that using PackEdge on a Mac with Parallels has worked out well in trials over the past couple months. IF we end up with one product for both platforms what features are a MUST have in Artpro that are not in PackEdge, or vise versa?

Deskpack?

Deskpack?

I have been working with Artpro since 1998 and still happy with the funtionality of the program ... but like many of you working with Artpro we are frustrated when it comes to exchanging files to other programs and lack of editability of imported live text.
Also it's not realy a cheap program when it comes to upgrades/maintenance contracts.

That's the reason that we are looking into alternatives ... The Esko deskpack plugins may also be an option in combination with CS4?

Cheers,
Mike

PackEdge on a PC is the Cadillac of PDF editors.
ArtPro is it's slightly smaller brother.

but that's just my opinion, having been an Esko user when it was Barco V8.

I agree with the above opinion that dedicated assembly applications do not have much of a future, so don't bother learning them. Dedicate your energy to mastering Illustrator. The basic functions are still the same since the 80's, and you can't argue with that for longevity. Deskpack adds trapping features that make Illustrator even easier to produce in, although you can get by (with years of practice) without Deskpack. CS4 makes Illustrator even easier to use, with Deskpack, or without. The big feature improvement is the separation preview, and more sophisticated Appearance functions to help build spot colour objects that can be globally edited. It makes conversions to Hex and Opaltone a straightforward procedure (almost). After opening many legacy files from years past, it is a pleasure to find a job was done in Illustrator and only needs to be resaved to a current version.

PackEdge on a PC is the Cadillac of PDF editors.
ArtPro is it's slightly smaller brother.

but that's just my opinion, having been an Esko user when it was Barco V8.

lol, PackEdge is the Cadilac of NORMALIZED PDF's

They are pretty much the same now. The thing to keep in mind is there are about 7 times the amount of licenses out there for Artpro as there are for packedge. If they do combine them at some point, you have to think they will respect the bigger usergroup.

And don't forget...

And don't forget...

Keep in mind that EskoArtworks also has NEO to factor into the mix.

How many products can they support integrated into the workflow?

ArtPro Packedge

ArtPro Packedge

It appears from the responses most are comfortable with what they know and use within their environment. Could probably figure that would be the case. I have been using both for about 10 years now, and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses from my perspective. You also have to consider the type of work you do. Esko now has a native PDF workflow with SS7. Combine that with Backstage and you really have a powerful system. I don't think the Mac/PC thing is something to consider these days. If you are doing a lot of work with integrated systems you need and use both. I personally prefer Packedge in that I know there is Nothing I cannot build or fix. What is on the screen is what Will be in your final separations. ArtPro has its own charm as well but can be tough if you get a real messed up file. I'm not even going to go into the trapping engine on a complicated file. Meanwhile ask anyone using Packedge whether they use and edit live text! You will have them on the ground laughing. I think the earlier comments about Illustrator are correct. Add Deskpack with BoostX and downstream workflow editing in Packedge, you have all you need.

downstream workflow editing in Packedge.

This gets us in trouble from time to time. Someone will make a last minute change to a normalized pdf in Packedge, without updating the Illustrator file. Then, later when the Illustrator file is restored to make updates to, it is not the current file. This is one reason not to allow Packedge tinkering with the output file. Many people find it hard to resist the temptation:D

And thus the need for SOPs! If so stated, and followed - the native file would be used for all changes/alterations. Shortcuts can really hurt sometimes!

Packedge

Packedge

By downstream editing, I am referring to trapping and output parameters. We often do most of the trapping in Packedge, Backstage or a combo of both depending on the art and workflow. I know what you mean about the temptation for altering the art. For the most part we look to the CS file for final approved content. The production version is really the Packedge file. At some point we hope to make it to the 1 file workflow, being the CS file. If we were a litho house it would be a bit simpler, but in a mix of high end corrugate and primary packaging, we have a lot of forks in the road.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back