Automating the placement of a sku on 850 pdfs.....

Hello,
I am researching the best possible way to automate typesetting a sku on the first page of a pdf for over 850 client supplied pdfs. Normally I use the Header & Footer option available in Acrobat to set these sku's which works great. However this time tasked with doing this on over 850 pdfs and want to avoid the manual method if possible. The sku that needs to be set would be the same name as the pdf file and needs to be placed on the first page at bottom
right position. The tools available to me are enfocus pitstop, quite-hot, asura by onevision, arts splits pro, data tools and the CS5 suite. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has any good ideas on how to automate this mundane task whether it be with the tools I have available or even with any canned scripts the Mac or PC may come with. Thanks!

Did you try to set a Batch Processing command in Acrobat to Add Header/Footer. Then select "Run Sequence", select all the files, and let it rip.

Advanced/Document Processing/Batch Processing

Did you try to set a Batch Processing command in Acrobat to Add Header/Footer. Then select "Run Sequence", select all the files, and let it rip.

Advanced/Document Processing/Batch Processing

Will this batch command know to use the pdf filename as the text to set at the bottom of the page?

Will this batch command know to use the pdf filename as the text to set at the bottom of the page?

How are you doing that on singles - hand typing? If so, this option may not work unless it can be scripted into the batch processing.

Last edited:
There is an Acrobat X Action called File Name Stamper that would semi-automate the process.
The problem is that you end up with the .pdf extension as it is part of the file name, I'm sure that the developers could adjust the script to remove the .pdf
The text is also inserted as RGB but shouldn't be a problem to convert this downstream.
Automation is a bit of a Pandoras Box, once you start you begin to see many ways that you can automate daily tasks. There are tons of Automator actions command line utilities and scripts that Automate specific tasks but these can become quite difficult to manage in a workgroup environment.
Take a look at the Enfocus Switch Product, it is very good at providing a central area to manage Automation and integrate with your applications.

Hi LoriPrepress08,

Are the files multi-page documents or single page? If they're single page documents, you can easily configure Asura to add "filename.pdf" on the lower right using the "Sheet" options within the output style. The text would be 100%K. Just make sure you set distance to an negative (-) value otherwise it would appear off the page. Unclick "Enlarge paper size, if necessary" and set the location (lower right) using the GUI.

If you have multi-page docs, the text would be added to all pages which may not work for you.

Greg

Hi Greg!
The Asura option sounds great and will test it this week. The files are multi page documents but I will need to work with the client and see if they are OK with adding the sku to all the pages. If so this would be an easy way to automate this task. Thank you very much for help as always!

Thanks for the response Paul, I am going to look into the file name stamper action in Acrobat and see what I come up with. Thanks again, will let you know my findings.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back