Avantra 30 Apogee PDF RIP V2 : Separations problems

gicbelgium

Hi guys,

Here is my problem :
I send a job from any application (Indesign or CorelDraw) on MAC or PC.
When the job is processed I can see big artefacts on the yellow separation and a small line on the other separations (Cyan, Magenta and Black).
The artefacts are really visible on a gradient.
I sent the same jobs with InRip separations and without > the result is the same.

I made a lot of internal tests : all is ok in the four resolutions. It's sharp and precise.

So I send a job with only two gradients : one in the width direction and the second in the height direction (see the files in attachment).
The first one is a picture from the yellow separation and the second one is from the black separation.
As I told Cyan, Magenta and Black presents the same problems with a light line on the gradient.

I think that the Avantra works fine... If not I would get the same artefacts on each separation and the internal tests would be bad.

My opinion is that the APIS card or the RIP software is defective.
I checked cables and the board and I didn't see anything strange.

Any idea or advise to be sure witch one is defective?

Yours,

Gic

PS: Really sorry for my English!

Attachments

• DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 206
Dear sir,

Thank you for your proposition, I keep it in my mind.
But before make some new investments, I would like to know how to reset this card and be sure that is defective.
Could you please tell me how to reset it?

Yours,

Gic

I meant to reseat the card in the computer to make sure it has a good solid connection. To do this you would need to open the computer then take the PCI card out of the computer. The insert the card back into the computer (making sure it seated in the slot) and close the computer. Reconnect all of your cables then try to output. If you get the same results then your card or cable is likely the issue. It is also possible it is something with the RIP computer. Hope this information helps.

Ok I was confused about the term "reseat" because I understood "reset" :)
I already reseat the card in other PCI ports and the issue is the same.

I will try to call a friend that uses an Agfa RIP with APIS card.
I checked the revision and it's compatible with my RIP.

I will try to work with his card, if the separations are ok so I will be sure that card is defective.

Thank you.

Hi,

I changed the APIS card inside the PC and the result is the same > big artefacts on the yellow separation.
I reseat the new card into another PCI port > result is the same.
I also tried to make a PostScript file with the job and put it into the hotfolder > result is the same.

I made new internal tests and I checked the quality with the printer. I told me that the screen in each resolution is very good.

I sent the job at 1200dpi to know if the problem persist at each resolution > same artefacts on the yellow separation.

I don't understand.
I check what should be wrong with the RIP computer.
I don't think that the RAM is in cause because the computer should not work if it is.
Maybe disk writing errors can cause this kind of problem?

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks!

Can you RIP the job into a TIFF file. Then you can examine the TIFF on screen. That will help you to reduce potential culprits. If the images look fine, your RIP software is not the problem.

Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks to give me a part of your time.

Indeed the RIP is defective because I see the error in the preview... exactly the same that I see on the film.

But I really don't understand where the error comes from.

I think it's from the computer because I have restored a backup from my old installation.

This installation was made on the same machine with the same disks and so one.

When I bought the RIP, I also bought two identical computers. One for the work and one for the backup.

The first one died and I restore the backup on the second one.

The good thing is that now I'm sure that the RIP is defective.

Now I must buy a new computer and reinstall the RIP.

Thanks,

Gic

Attachments

• Preview probleÌ€me RIP Jules avril 2012.jpg
    Preview problème RIP Jules avril 2012.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Glad you were able to track down the problem. Sorry you may need to buy new hardware. It's a very strange problem. Does the issue only occur on gradients? Have you tried a fresh install of the software?

Greg

Hi Greg,

The problem appears under 90% dots, not only with gradient. But it's really visible with gradients.
With Cyan, Magenta and Black the problem is lighter than Yellow, but also visible.

I tried to apply another screens than Agfa Balanced screens.
The problem is lighter but it persists.

I also tried a new fresh install of the software... same issue, unbelievable.

Now I wait a few days. A friend will come to the company with his RIP (the same one than mine) and try with it.

Thanks,

Gic

Gic,

Run the same job , but rotate the image by 90 degreese. I would be intrested to know if you have the same results.

STSTech

Gic,

Run the same job again, but rotate image 90 degrees. I would be very interesred in knowing if you have the same issue.

STSTech

Hi STSTech,

In my last post, You can see a clipboard of the preview.
There is 2 gradients in the file. the first in the slow scan direction and the second in the fast scan direction.
Do you think it will change something if I rotate the file at 90° degrees?

Yours,

Gic

Gic,

Should have read your Post more closely. You stated that it appears in preview. If it shows up there, then it not the imager, it's
the job, of the RIP.

STSTech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back