Back again for help...create bleed

steppy

We need to add bleed to header of pages generated from MS Word.

Using the add bleed action without FIRST defining all page boxes gives no bleed.
With page boxes defined, action consistently gives bleed on two of the three sides of the header.

Headers in Word are raster images.

I've attached:
  • original pdf
  • pdf after action but no page box adjustment
  • pdf after page box adjustment and bleed action.
  • the actions used (ZIP).
APPRECIATE any help/ideas.

stephen

Attachments

• 900022522_original.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 403
  • 900022522_no page box defined.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 342
  • 900022522_with page boxes defined.pdf
    969.1 KB · Views: 338
  • aCTIONS.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 303
I think something is not right with that PDF, it does not react properly to actions (PDF Producer is blank).
I made you new action that forces trim box and resizes other boxes, than add bleed and crop marks, it works on my end.
I hope this helps

Attachments

• ActionZ.zip
    3 KB · Views: 311
I have never had any luck adding bleed on files from either Word or Publisher using the default action lists.
Files from Indesign or Illustrator generally work flawlessly

Might be an idea to add a specific Action for Office based files.
We have a preflight profile specifically for Office files that adds bleed, but it does a lot more such as overprint and color conversions.
You'll find that at Generic Enfocus Preflight Profile > Just make my Office PDF work! - CMYK ISO Coated v2
I'll take a look at adding a bleed action for Office in the next release.

@steppy you might want to get involved with these workshops. It's a perfect place for questions like these.

I think something is not right with that PDF, it does not react properly to actions (PDF Producer is blank).
I made you new action that forces trim box and resizes other boxes, than add bleed and crop marks, it works on my end.
I hope this helps
Zoran:

Thank you! Unfortunately we don't have latest PitStop, (still on 13) and when we try your action we get error. (see attachments).

After opening (and I guess removing the incompatible portions) we get the same result as prior.

Agreed, something is wrong with the pdf!!!! Supplied by client unwilling to try any pdf creation suggestions; need we say more?

Appreciate your effort.

stephen

Attachments

• MessAGE_1.png
    MessAGE_1.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 347
  • MESSAGE_2.png
    MESSAGE_2.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 288
  • action_after_deletion.png
    action_after_deletion.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 319
Can you add the bleeds to the PDF in a raster program like Photoshop? (I use edit>fill>content aware)

Might be an idea to add a specific Action for Office based files.
We have a preflight profile specifically for Office files that adds bleed, but it does a lot more such as overprint and color conversions.
You'll find that at Generic Enfocus Preflight Profile > Just make my Office PDF work! - CMYK ISO Coated v2
I'll take a look at adding a bleed action for Office in the next release.

@steppy you might want to get involved with these workshops. It's a perfect place for questions like these.
Thank you Andrew!

Just make my Office PDF work! almost worked!

Three of the four pages now have bleed and one does not, (see attached). Puzzling.

Appreciate your assistance.

stephen
Can you add the bleeds to the PDF in a raster program like Photoshop? (I use edit>fill>content aware)
Unfortunately there are way too many to start rasterizing. Text would not look great also.

UPDATE

We looked at the pages that did add bleed working with "Just make my Office PDF work!" and when compared to the one page that did not, found that the position of the image was different, (we're talking thousandths of inch mind you).

We wrote an action to select image and adjust to the same position as the pages that worked. Running "Just make my Office PDF work!" after this then worked on all pages.

Maybe not the most elegant but it worked.

Thanks again for the feedback.

stephen

You can also try with FreeFlow Core available for free download for 45 days.
Or you can try with Callas pdf toolbox .. Callas pdf process plan may be if some help.

Thank you Andrew!

Just make my Office PDF work! almost worked!

Three of the four pages now have bleed and one does not, (see attached). Puzzling.

Appreciate your assistance.

stephen

Unfortunately there are way too many to start rasterizing. Text would not look great also.
It's the value in the Add Bleed Action you probably need to adjust, it probably doesn't quite reach the trim, so you just need to adjust the numbers a little.
Nothing unusual, just a bit of training needed. :)
You can always drop me a mail. [email protected]
Happy to help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back