Back Saving in CS5? trouble?

acacia print

Hi all, I have a designer working from his home who has just bought IDD CS5 and is sure that you cant save back to earlier versions?? Is that right or has Adobe hidden this feature... Or is it an export option that he should be using? He has migrated from Illustrator....... So may be a way he is unfamilier with... we only have CS3....:eek:

He has to Export as a Indesign Markup (.idml) file, this is backward compatible. Don't ask why Adobe has changed this, seems kinda unclear to everybody if you ask me.

Ahh... man what a mess... Thanks Glenn. I just tried to open a .idml file and it has proven that point to be 100% correct.... Not sure how we will get past this other than to upgrade! not sure I can afford that at the moment.....

CS5 cannot read CS5.5 files! You have to export as an idml file as well, which can be read by CS4.

If it is any help, you don't have to upgrade the entire CS3 suite. You can just upgrade InDesign.

Al

Al,

I tried to upgrade just InDesign CS5 to CS 5.5, from my creative suite, and it wouldn't let me do it. I talked to customer support and they said I had to get the whole upgrade. It was like pulling teeth trying to get an explanation from them. It didn't help that I could barely understand a word they were saying because of their accent. They did end up crediting my purchase though.

Erik

You can uppgrade just inDesign provided you have just indesign. If you have the suite, you will need to uppgrade the suite, but I don't think you need to go for Master collection ;)

If that is actually the case, then in my view that is a very bad policy on Adobe's part. It is likely to breed ill will towards them and decrease their net revenue from upgrades.

This affects mostly output service providers (prepress houses who must have ID 5.5 in order to process customer supplied native files). Print content creative users (print designers) can easily do without this upgrade as I understand it from reading the forums.

Al

Adobe doesn't seem to care about us service providers anymore. Thats why they killed the ASN program. Now it's all web and iPad crap...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back