Banding on Versant 80 - is this 2nd btr issue?

gazfocus

As I’m quite new to using Xerox machines, I am still learning and trying to identify issues myself so that when I need to arrange service, I can tell them what the issue is so they can come equipped with the part (our service tech is a third party tech so our dealer supplies the parts rather than the tech having a car full of spares).

So, currently getting some banding on coated card stock and wondering if this is caused by the 2nd btr. Pictures attached showing the banding (hopefully you can see what I mean as the camera didn’t want to pick it up), and of the 2nd btr roller.

IMG_9762.jpegIMG_9763.jpegIMG_9769.jpeg

Plausible. Are you printing both sides of the sheets do the banding artifacts line up with the "dirt" on the 2nd BTR roller?

Plausible. Are you printing both sides of the sheets do the banding artifacts line up with the "dirt" on the 2nd BTR roller?
Our dealer has said it’s not likely to be the 2nd btr as it’d have black marks on it?

There’s a lot more areas on the roller than what you can see on a printed sheet so it’s hard to tell but yeh looks to line up.

Typical that I want to print a big run of greeting cards and now I can’t haha.

Photos of the halftone charts the dealer asked me to print from the service mode….

IMG_9776.jpegIMG_9778.jpegIMG_9779.jpegIMG_9781.jpegIMG_9782.jpegIMG_9783.jpegIMG_9785.jpeg

Its too bad you don't have an extra 2nd BTR to swap in to split test, but the halftone sheets indicate that your issue is not 2nd BTR because they are single sided. Could be a scratched fuser or IBT belt, or roller, or used up IBT cleaning blade. Not likely a RoS window because multiple colors are affected.

Its too bad you don't have an extra 2nd BTR to swap in to split test, but the halftone sheets indicate that your issue is not 2nd BTR because they are single sided. Could be a scratched fuser or IBT belt, or roller, or used up IBT cleaning blade. Not likely a RoS window because multiple colors are affected.
Thanks for that. The dealer has asked me to try cleaning the developer housing so will try that again first thing in the morning.

I’ve ran plenty of sheets of sticker paper through the press today and not noticed the banding on them but they don’t tend to be solid blocks of colour.

Might try a few different stocks in the morning too to see if it’s just heavy weights.

Is the banding on all colors or just the black? I can see it on the black but not the others. Curious if you have the flywheel weight installed on the 80. Some of the early Versant 80s didn’t have the flywheel and it was a field upgrade and some techs take it off and leave it off, but it was supposed to help with banding. There’s also a gear that gets engaged when you push the unit back into place, and if it gets a few broken sprockets, it can cause banding too. I guess it could be the developer housing too if it’s only on the black and you have already swapped the drum with another and no improvement.

Is the banding on all colors or just the black? I can see it on the black but not the others. Curious if you have the flywheel weight installed on the 80. Some of the early Versant 80s didn’t have the flywheel and it was a field upgrade and some techs take it off and leave it off, but it was supposed to help with banding. There’s also a gear that gets engaged when you push the unit back into place, and if it gets a few broken sprockets, it can cause banding too. I guess it could be the developer housing too if it’s only on the black and you have already swapped the drum with another and no improvement.
If you look at the first cyan image for example, (the horizontal one), you can see two darker blue lines roughly in the centre running left to right. You can also see it in the magenta. The yellow is too bright to see anything.

I’ve no idea if I have a flywheel to be honest but the engineers that come out do seem pretty on the ball.

Now I see them, so it’s on all 4. I would be having problems on the back side of coated stock with the 2nd BTR that you have but I don’t think that’s the issue with those lines. There’s another set of rollers right before the 2nd BTR roller, it’s where the primary charge roller is. It must be something common to all 4 colors, charge roller, IBT belt/cleaner. I haven’t seen this on my 80 or 280 so that’s all I have to suggest on those.

It does look like the edges of your sheets have less density. You may want to run your density uniformity for the stock that you’re using. Not a fix for the banding and lines down the sheet but something to look at. Good luck!

Now I see them, so it’s on all 4. I would be having problems on the back side of coated stock with the 2nd BTR that you have but I don’t think that’s the issue with those lines. There’s another set of rollers right before the 2nd BTR roller, it’s where the primary charge roller is. It must be something common to all 4 colors, charge roller, IBT belt/cleaner. I haven’t seen this on my 80 or 280 so that’s all I have to suggest on those.

It does look like the edges of your sheets have less density. You may want to run your density uniformity for the stock that you’re using. Not a fix for the banding and lines down the sheet but something to look at. Good luck!
Thanks, I definitely have a lot to learn and will definitely do the density uniformity.

The charge roller sounds like a possible - on the Konica I had, this sort of issue would usually be the charge coroner which the fully was user replaceable and we had spares on hand so will look into the charge roller and IBT belt/cleaner.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back