Best LPI ratio for Diffrent Materials

rafaqat

Hello,
I want to know about the best ratios of LPI for diffrent jobs likes news paper, card, art paper, offset paper, cartons. art card etc.

Hello,
I want to know about the best ratios of LPI for diffrent jobs likes news paper, card, art paper, offset paper, cartons. art card etc.

Your question isn't clear.
If you're asking about image dpi to halftone lpi ratio then:

This is the deep answer: The Print Guide: Image resolution for printing - LPI vs DPI a.k.a. LPI vs PPI a.k.a. LPI vs SPI

The short answer: If the image has lots of small detail (like tree leaves) or minimal detail (like fluffy clouds) or it's being printed on absorbent newspaper you can get away with a dpi that's 1x the lpi of the screen.

If the image has lots of straight lines (like architectural) the you may want to go with a dpi that's as high as 2x the lpi

@gordo. I think he is asking about a standard output LPI for his all jobs to be printed.

The choice of dot shape and screen ruling will be dependent on the substrate and press. Two presses running the same substrate may have to use different screens, different tone curves etc.

Stephen Marsh

Hi

We are using

for news paper 133 lpi
for offset paper 175-200 lpi
for cartons 150 lpi round dot

Exactly I am asking about standard output LPI s for diffrent jobs.

These are typical:
#1 coated paper - offset 175lpi
#2 paper - offset 150 lpi
Newsprint - 85-100 lpi
Flexo - 100-150 lpi
Magazines - 133-150 lpi

Of course the choice of lpi is first of all a business decision - rather than a technical decision.
For example, my local newspaper prints with a 20 micron FM halftone screen (equivalent to about 375 lpi) because of its business benefits.

can you tell output lpi ratios affect on printing

As lpi increases (e.g. 100 lpi to 175 lpi or 175 lpi to 20 micron FM) the halftone dots through the tone range become smaller. The smaller halftone dots affect pprinting:

1- Dot gain increases - this is compensated for by the use of dot gain compensation curves applied during plate imaging.

2- The use of dot gain compensation curves to compensate for the added dot gain reduces the volume of ink needed to achieve the same visual appearance as the lower lpi screen - in some cases by as much as 30% less ink therefore production costs are reduced.

3- Smaller dots results in more ink dot area coverage for any given tone which increases the amount of light that is filtered by the ink and reduces the amount of light that is reflected unfiltered off the substrate. This has the effect of increasing the achievable gamut.

4- Smaller dots are more stable in tone and color as SIDs naturally vary during press run.

5- The higher the effective lpi the more continuous tone the image appears and the greater the detail that can be rendered.

6- The higher the lpi is when using an AM/hybrid AM screen the smaller the rosettes are and the less grainy flat tones that have rosettes will appear.

Some budy told me that if we use smaller lpi the dot will be bigger. so it will easly to handle printing on ruff papers and boards.
Is it correct?

Some budy told me that if we use smaller lpi the dot will be bigger. so it will easly to handle printing on ruff papers and boards.
Is it correct?

I guess that depends on what you mean by rough papers and boards.

Newsprint is pretty rough but can be printed using 20-25 micron FM (equivalent to about 375 lpi).

Your question isn't clear.
If you're asking about image dpi to halftone lpi ratio then:

This is the deep answer: The Print Guide: Image resolution for printing - LPI vs DPI a.k.a. LPI vs PPI a.k.a. LPI vs SPI

The short answer: If the image has lots of small detail (like tree leaves) or minimal detail (like fluffy clouds) or it's being printed on absorbent newspaper you can get away with a dpi that's 1x the lpi of the screen.

If the image has lots of straight lines (like architectural) the you may want to go with a dpi that's as high as 2x the lpi
Can I inverse your formulas to find ideal or good lpi ?
for example 2 x lpi = dpi (is to find dpi)
Lpi = dpi/2 (to find good or ideal lpi)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back