blue print problems on my brother (home) inkjet

bcr

Folks, my home inkjet (Brother J6530DW) is having some issues.

Cyan has missing dots on the test page, and now a long streak on the trailing edge. See attached scan.

Cyan was ok if using maximum print density, but the test pages never came out complete, & anything printed using normal density was a mess.

- So I tried a head cleaning kit. Made no difference except make a huge mess - you can see blotches and streaks on the scans - couldn't get in deep enough to clean it all.

- I've tried the initial and heavy purges in the service menu, correct paper feed, alignment etc.

- Cleaned the purge reservoirs.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the trailing edge streak might have started after i tested printing onto one single 250gsm sheet.

If you've got any suggestions on what the issue is and how to fix it, I'm all ears. I thought a clogged head but why the trailing edge issue?

I appreciate this is not a commercial printing issue. Printer is just used for admin, kids' homework, partner's hobby stuff.

I'm 50/50 atm on lugging the thing to work to get it onto a bench and taking it partially apart to fully clean, or just replacing with a cheap colour laser which has cheap aftermarket toners available. It's actually pretty big and heavy being an A3 unit and it's a messy business moving it and cleaning the ink etc..

Attachments

• brother print problems.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:
We had an Epson 9600 that had clogged ink tubes and a clogged print head. I bought some print head cleaning solution online, that smelled very similar to Windex, and used a soaked paper towel to clean the print head. Then I used a syringe to flush out the ink tubes. It worked great for years after that until we replaced it. Just be gentle and rely on the chemicals to clean it rather than physically scrubbing the ink head.

We had an Epson 9600 that had clogged ink tubes and a clogged print head. I bought some print head cleaning solution online, that smelled very similar to Windex, and used a soaked paper towel to clean the print head. Then I used a syringe to flush out the ink tubes. It worked great for years after that until we replaced it. Just be gentle and rely on the chemicals to clean it rather than physically scrubbing the ink head.

thanks. i've tried using a syringe cleaning solution which didn't work.
i've since also tried using cleaning cartridges. i did all the cleaning and purge cycles, and then printed pure cmyk until every last trace of ink had been flushed out.
it didn't work.

i will try one more round of using the cleaning cartridges and then leaving it to sit for 24 hours (as recommended int he notes) before i give up.

in any case i've since bought a cheap Epson eco-tank to replace it, but if i can fix it i will as i'm loathe to bin the thing..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back