Booklet Finishing

Muddy

I have a project I do once a month that is a 56 page or 64 page self cover booklet with a page size of approximately 6 x 9. The run length is 8500. I produce this offset as 16 page sigs. I send the flat sheets to a bindery house and they fold, stitch and trim. This is a process that I wish to internalize as I want to have complete control over production (this project always comes down to the last minute every month) and I have staff quite capable of handling the work we just don't have the finishing equipment. As well, in the new year my client will be adding a second monthly publication of approximately the same size.

My question is what equipment do I need to purchase to finish this book. I have a Stahl folder that will handle the folding of the flats. In fact sometimes we provide the bindery house with folded sigs if schedule permits. I fold them as 8's so I would need something to handle at least 8 folded sigs.

Take me by the hand please. Tell me what I need and what I should expect to pay. Stitcher, collator, 3 knife trimmer is that it? Frankly I think I can easily make a payment to the bank just as easily as the bindery house. I don't do a lot of other book work so I just need the basics.

Thank you in advance

Muddy,

You might consider a flat-sheet collator/saddlestitching process, for example the Horizon VAC collator + StitchLiner 5500. This would gather and accumulate flat, 4-page signatures, score/plow-fold them onto a saddle, stitch, then three-knife trim. Time on your Stahl would be traded-off for time cutting the parent sheets down into flat 4-page signatures, but the overall process would be more efficient, and the booklets would be ready-to-ship as they exit the conveyor. This system would be plenty robust for the volume you describe. More information: Stitchliner 5500 - SDMC.com - Standard Duplicating Machines Corporation

Best regards,
Mark Hunt | Director of Marketing
Standard Finishing Systems
978 289 5444 direct | 978 886 1784 cell
[email protected] | Print Finishing Solutions | Duplicating Machines - Standard Duplicating Machines Corporation | Mark Hunt (ThinkFinishing) on Twitter

binders | folders | saddlestitchers | collators | cutters | pre/post | inserters

There is no simple solution for your problem. Stitchers need to run for a ROI. Keep farming it out. Maybe work on trying to build some new business and then with enough Stitching capacity you could justify purchasing one. The fact is Stitchers are bulky, take up a ton of floor space, and require experience to run your products consistently. The Stitchliners are really neat. I have seen a few in action now and that may very well fit your needs. You can use a Stitchliner for things other than Binding but the same can be said for conventional Stitchers. But it comes with a price tag. You can pick up Mullers very reasonable these days. I just don't see the effort you will put into Stitching just for a few projects worth it. Something else to think about is SaddleStitchers typically require about 100 amps of 3 phase between motors and pumps.

There is no simple solution for your problem. Stitchers need to run for a ROI. Keep farming it out. Maybe work on trying to build some new business and then with enough Stitching capacity you could justify purchasing one. The fact is Stitchers are bulky, take up a ton of floor space, and require experience to run your products consistently. The Stitchliners are really neat. I have seen a few in action now and that may very well fit your needs. You can use a Stitchliner for things other than Binding but the same can be said for conventional Stitchers. But it comes with a price tag. You can pick up Mullers very reasonable these days. I just don't see the effort you will put into Stitching just for a few projects worth it. Something else to think about is SaddleStitchers typically require about 100 amps of 3 phase between motors and pumps.

I appreciate this feedback, Onemanbindery. The problem with the bookletmaker types is a book with this number of pages tends to not lay flat when it closes as the spine "bulges" for lack of a better term. I have a long term contract with the client so I know the business is going to be there for a while. I would bet with what I am going to pay the bindery house every month I could easily make a payment and still have money left over. ROI there would seem very good to me.

Do you have a reco for a manufacturer of a booklet maker?

Muddy,
We have both Muller and Heidleberg stitchers as well as a Duplo booklet maker. You are correct about the books not laying flat off the booklet maker. The specs on the Duplo say up to 64pp but it ain't pretty.

If I were you I would keep my eyes open for a used Muller. There is a lot of used equipment up for grabs. You should be able to find something. Can you print as 16pp sigs? If you can then upgrade the folder to handle the folding as well. Now you only need a 4 pocket stitcher. Saves a little floor space.

Just my thoughts.

Greg

Edit - Just re-read your post and you are printing as 16pp sigs. Being able to fold them as 16's will save a lot in time and money.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back