Broken dot on plate and print

falvarado

Good morning to everyone:
I am experiencing broken dots when printing is done. It is not a sharp dot, with the loupe you can see it is all broken up. Could some one help me with possible solutions to it? When plates come out of the CTP, you cannot see it because we are using Kodak Thermal Direct Plates, and these are not visible. Once inks hits the plate, the dot is already broken up. We believe that this is the cause of a snowflake apperience in flesh printing. Our press is a M1000.
I would appreciate very much suggestions. Thank you.
Regards,
Falvarado

Dear Alois:
We were using Kodak Sword plates, and we changed over to processless plates: Kodak Thermal Direct.
On the Sword plates we could see the dots, but on this new plate we cannot.
Our main reason was to excape from chemistry.
Regards,
Francisco Alvarado

Dear Alois:
We were using Kodak Sword plates, and we changed over to processless plates: Kodak Thermal Direct.
On the Sword plates we could see the dots, but on this new plate we cannot.
Our main reason was to excape from chemistry.
Regards,
Francisco Alvarado

That's one reason that my former shop chose Agfa AzuraTS plates - no developer (gum only), and you can see the image quite clearly before it gets to press.

Falvarado,

Take a plate before running on press and wash with a developer (if you have any left around), or perhaps a solvent. This way, you can see if the dots are coming out of CTP this way or not.

Also, is it all your plates, or a specific colour? Could be an ink tack thing...

One last thought....try a different plate.

Last edited:
We are still with the problem that the dot that the CTP is producing on the plate is giving us a broken dot, that at the same time gives us a snowflate look on the flesh of people images, would you have any suggestions to where to look for in order to overcome the problem?
Regards,
Francisco

Image a plate and wash the plate off with water by hand. Once processed look and see if you have sharp dots. If they are sharp, then you have an issue with your Press. Chek wash and fountain solutions.

STSTech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back