Buying Proofer

jiitee

Hi

On our company we are going to buy proofer to print highquality proofs, where the paper we use in our presses is also matched.
What do I need, Standalone RIP? And what kind of printer? inkjet or is it possible to use somekind of laser?

I would recommend a software RIP and an inkjet printer. I like Serendipity Black Magic, or EFI Fiery XF, paired with an Epson 900 series printer.

We use an Epson Stylus 4880 Inkjet Printer which is a very common solution. Often the 4880 is combined with GMG color proof software. Besides proof printer and RIP-Software you will also have to think about a photospectrometer for measuring and verifying your proofs.

Using laser printers for proofing is quite unusual due to the fact that most color laser printers cannot quite match the color range of four color offset prints on coated paper. Also - at least in my experience - a color laser printer is not able to produce the same result over a longer period of time which would be essential for a reliable proof workflow.

EFI Fiery XF Proofing and Epson sounds good, I also checked Epson's website and noticed that they have proofers with "spectroproofing" as option and noticed also the price :)
And I want the roll option but would it be cheaper to just go with a Epson 7890 with X-Rite or Gretag spectrodevice for measuring, verfying and calibrating.

If I will go with X-Rite or GreTag what kind of device should i buy, or is there a better choice?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back