CADtools 9

egriffin

Does anyone have experience with the CADtools 9 plug-in for Illustrator. I am considering purchasing this, but wanted to reach out and see if anyone has a review or opinion of it.

https://www.hotdoor.com/cadtools

We're looking for a user friendly way to create special shaped dielines for labels and pouches. Most of what I am finding is for box structure, which we do not work with.

Thanks!

Thank you both for your feedback. I actually have Studio on my want list and have approval to purchase within the next year - very excited to implement it. Would it be redundant for us to have both Studio and the CADtools 9 plugin?

My main concern and understanding with Studio is that it is limited to working with symmetrically round containers unless you purchase new shapes or have a 3D scanner. We have a lot of customized bottles come our way.

There are various modules...
Studio: 3D Modules for Adobe® Illustrator® - Esko

Studio Toolkits for Boxes at least is actually very weak in my opinion. I only use the File > Structural Design > Export to ARD function of it. Studio Visualizer and Studio Designer for Illustrator are both pretty awesome although there are some limitations. In my case it does not understand the flexible nature of folding carton materials and only deals with flat planes. Overlapping panels and auto bottoms become a real annoyance. I've never played around with the flexible side of it (don't have the separate licenses)

What Esko's tools lack are that CAD functionality in the tool set like CADtools 9 offers. I figure they don't bother as they already offer ArtiosCAD.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back