Calculating spine width for perfect bound books

QualityPrint

I am just wondering how others calculate the spine width for perfect bound books for a variety of paper types. We are coming up short on jobs using our current calculations especially on dull stocks. Any help is appreciated

I am just wondering how others calculate the spine width for perfect bound books for a variety of paper types. We are coming up short on jobs using our current calculations especially on dull stocks. Any help is appreciated

What can catch you out is if you have the incorrect caliper input in your calculation software. There's a big variation in thickness on the same weight book wove between mills and paper types and the same is true for coated grades. Getting the caliper out to check would be my first step.

We always make a dummy with the correct stock before making the final adjustment. The kind of cover and the binding equipment seem to make a little difference too.

Regarding the Spine Calculator: What unit of measurement does it use? I get a number, but I don't know if it's picas, points, centimeters, inches, etc. :)

The spine should be:

(number of pages ÷ 4) x caliper

As Lukas said, though, your best bet is to make a dummy.

This gives a very good idea of spine size although you can get problems when some paper stocks are thicker than the norm for that weight etc. but 99% of the time its very close.

Text Pages
x
Paper Weight
x4
x25.4
divided by 200,000

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back