Can A 150-Year-Old Printing Company Go High Tech?

R.R. Donnelley Plunges Into Developing Market for Printed Electronic Parts. An interesting article in the Wall Street Journal -- worth a read.

Unfortunately the article is behind a pay wall. :p

In any case, R.R. Donnelly has, like most printers, and despite the article's title, been a high-tech company for decades.

What I see when I click on that link are several google search results. The first two are these:

Can 150-Year-Old Printer Go High Tech?
Wall Street Journal-Aug 18, 2014
R.R. Donnelley executives on the company's printing floor, which bridges the ... Antennas for passive RFID tags will generate sales of about $9 ...

Printer RR Donnelley Evolves to Printing Electronic Components
Wall Street Journal (blog)-Aug 19, 2014
R.R. Donnelley & Sons Co., a Chicago printing giant dating to the Lincoln ... parts such as thin, bendable RFID antennas, sensors and batteries, ...

Both are behind paywalls. Then there is a general Dr Joe article link and then several Chinese links.

IPad Air. Strange.

Hah! Just tried it on my MacBook Pro and.......no paywall. Bizarro!

Last edited:
It is an interesting article, thanks for sharing.
I still find the title "Can 150-Year-Old Printer Go High Tech?" plays up on a stereotype about RR Donnelly (and by association the print industry) that is simply untrue. RR Donnelly has always been a pioneer in new technologies related to print (at least the article made some mention of Donnelly's renowned R&D facilities).
Printed electronics has been around commercially for over ten years now (McDonald's place mats, Hallmark party tablecloths and Hasbro and Character Visions board games have been made interactive with sound and light emission for many years). Although the article focusses on the technology IMHO the issue is the holistic integration of the print technology with consumers. Around year 2000 I saw a demonstration of cereal boxes on a grocery shelf using printed OLEDs to light up and animate the front of the cereal box whenever a consumer passed near it (it used motion sensors embedded in the shelf with RFID technology to trigger the package animation. The key is to get these disparate technologies to integrate as well as to define an ROI model so that brand owners can understand the value impact of implementing this technology in there products.

It is an interesting article, thanks for sharing.
I still find the title "Can 150-Year-Old Printer Go High Tech?" plays up on a stereotype about RR Donnelly (and by association the print industry) that is simply untrue. RR Donnelly has always been a pioneer in new technologies related to print (at least the article made some mention of Donnelly's renowned R&D facilities).
Printed electronics has been around commercially for over ten years now (McDonald's place mats, Hallmark party tablecloths and Hasbro and Character Visions board games have been made interactive with sound and light emission for many years). Although the article focusses on the technology IMHO the issue is the holistic integration of the print technology with consumers. Around year 2000 I saw a demonstration of cereal boxes on a grocery shelf using printed OLEDs to light up and animate the front of the cereal box whenever a consumer passed near it (it used motion sensors embedded in the shelf with RFID technology to trigger the package animation. The key is to get these disparate technologies to integrate as well as to define an ROI model so that brand owners can understand the value impact of implementing this technology in there products.

Gordo . . . your depth of knowledge never fails to amaze me . . . when do you find time to sleep?????

I forgot to mention...everything you need to know about the technology was shown in this scene from the 2002 movie Minority Report:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7bXJ_obaiYQ

Of course the science fiction bit in that movie was that, in the future, there would be shopping malls. Shopping malls died years ago - it's just that their leases haven't expired yet.

Last edited:
R.R. Donnelly ain't #1 because their #2.

They are #1 because they are the best and by far most reaching.

My wittle take on the big picture as just a wittle ink man.

D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back